Click to expand
Rank #6741 on CommentsLevel 238 Comments: Ambassador Of Lulz
OfflineSend mail to dragondust Block dragondust Invite dragondust to be your friend flag avatar
|Last status update:|| |
|Consoles Owned:||Xbox 360 PS3 PS4 PC|
|Video Games Played:||Quite a bit|
|X-box Gamertag:||s Mercenary|
|Date Signed Up:||8/03/2013|
|Funnyjunk Career Stats|
|Highest Content Rank:||#409|
|Highest Comment Rank:||#1210|
|Content Thumbs:||11468 total, 12323 , 855|
|Comment Thumbs:||4247 total, 4433 , 186|
|Content Level Progress:|| 11% (11/100) |
Level 186 Content: Anon Annihilator → Level 187 Content: Anon Annihilator
|Comment Level Progress:|| 8% (8/100) |
Level 238 Comments: Ambassador Of Lulz → Level 239 Comments: Ambassador Of Lulz
|Times Content Favorited:||781 times|
|Total Comments Made:||4312|
|Favorite Tags:||dark souls (3) | funny (2) | twitter (2)|
- Views: 52889Bing maps
1709 55 Total: +1654
- Views: 39751GODDAMNIT NAPPA
1121 73 Total: +1048
- Views: 34735Saw This On a Urinal
1029 43 Total: +986
- Views: 28942Coincidence
693 72 Total: +621
- Views: 24627Dark Souls 2 Reviews
537 29 Total: +508
- Views: 28871Saw this in a Parking Lot
568 140 Total: +428
- Views: 24734Charles Darwin is crying in his...
643 31 Total: +612
- Views: 7329Hasek gets a little bit angry
99 13 Total: +86
- Views: 5118A casual argument in Ukraine
60 11 Total: +49
- Views: 5440Club Penguin
56 13 Total: +43
- Views: 3883Donald gets serious
46 9 Total: +37
- Views: 2918You will never headbang this hard.
32 6 Total: +26
- Views: 65505Walk into the club like
1656 69 Total: +1587
- Views: 44799Benjamin Franklin
1363 65 Total: +1298
- Views: 23777I'll just kill myself
734 26 Total: +708
- Views: 4116Buzz look, an alien!
43 5 Total: +38
- Views: 1854Trying to play DBZ kinect
22 5 Total: +17
latest user's comments
|#10 - Picture||6 hours ago on how||0|
|#19 - I couldn't agree more. It really gets ridiculous.||7 hours ago on What's today?||+16|
|#1 - Picture||07/02/2015 on birthmarks's profile||0|
|#40 - Picture||07/01/2015 on Gabe||0|
|#399692 - Picture||06/30/2015 on Hating - file complaints,...||0|
|#399659 - Picture [+] (2 new replies)||06/30/2015 on Hating - file complaints,...||0|
|#399632 - I hate people who say the entire horror genre is just cheap ju… [+] (14 new replies)||06/30/2015 on Hating - file complaints,...||+1|
#399729 - thedudeistheman (07/01/2015) [-]
I have three tiers of the state of jump scares in horror movies.
1. The Worst Kind - Jump scares that don't feature anything scary. Loud music playing as something completely not menacing happens, like somebody putting a hand on another person's shoulder. There's nothing scary about that. I'm not going to lie and say it's never startled me, because it's designed to startle you. It's just not scary.
2. The All Right Kind - Jump scares that actually feature something scary. A good example would be the movie Sinister. It has a bunch of jump scares, but for the most part, the jump scares have to do with something scary. Sure, it's still loud and meant to startle you, but at least something scary is happening.
3. The Best Kind - a.k.a. No jump scares. Best example in recent memory would be The Babadook. The distinct lack of loud music or sounds enhances the movie so much. When something scary happens, all you hear are the sounds that would happen naturally. There might be some other sounds in some scenes, but they're never the dominant feature. In real life, music doesn't play when something scary happens. The lack of music makes the scene feel real, and therefore scares us more because it's easier to relate to.
#399730 - thedudeistheman (07/01/2015) [-]
I also don't think fear of a jump scare is a legitimate tactic. You should fear whatever's happening in the movie, not a loud sound or something that makes you jump a bit. More often than not, I find that once a jump scare happens, the tension disappears. The jump scare is like a peak, so the movie fluctuates between peaks and low points. It's fine for movies to have peaks, but things should keep building after a peak, not die down substantially after one moment.
It's all about what happens after the jump scare. Going back to the hand-on-a-shoulder example, this is a bad jump scare because what happens after is almost always just a conversation between the two characters. That's not scary. If something scary happens after the jump scare, at least the tension is still there and the tension can continue to build up.
#399687 - thechosentroll (06/30/2015) [-]
I haven't been able to enjoy horror games, because I'm basically immune to jumpscares. They just don't cut it for me, I don't even skip a heartbeat. I'm a little bitch when it comes to ambiance, though. All it takes is some isolation, ambient noise and the thought that something could pop up behind me to keep me on my toes. Do you know what the last game that managed to scare me was? Minecraft. The thought that an enemy could spawn right behind me with no warning at any moment freaked me out so much I build open pit mines instead of exploring caves like a sensible person would. No game since then has managed to scare me.
#399634 - wallbuilder (06/30/2015) [-]
Yeah, but true fear is way more interesting than jump-scares. Jump-scares are shallow as fuck. Anything can do jump-scares. The problem with the horror genre is that everyone is so accustomed to horror and it's always "Just a movie". People consume more media than ever before by several fuckloads so we're all very accustomed to media. I wish horror could be as good as it used to be, I really do. But it's run it's course. There can be a few neat little concepts. But for the most part, I think it's done.
|#1257330 - For the most part it's similar to 2 in that aspect [+] (1 new reply)||06/20/2015 on Video Games Board - console...||0|
|#1257328 - A lot, most notably the fact that it's now completely open wor… [+] (3 new replies)||06/20/2015 on Video Games Board - console...||0|
|#253 - Picture||06/20/2015 on dragondust's profile||0|
Join Subscribe animemanga
Join Subscribe darksoulstime
Join Subscribe fallout
Join Subscribe katawashoujo
Join Subscribe videogames