Login or register
> hey anon, wanna give your opinion?
User avatar #81 - stijnverheye
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
Lets all not forget that Belgium had the least casualties compared to the 4 other Countries

i am not offended by the way
User avatar #90 to #81 - flybager
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
Probably because there were a lot less of us to begin with
#93 to #90 - anon id: 6ad490da
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
Albert 1 didn't want to let the Belgians fight out of the country (as Belgium is a neutral country) so in the final attacks against the Germans the Belgians didn't have to leave the trenches and didn't suffer many casualties at that point. During the defense however they had one of the worst parts of the front to defend (Ypres) with one of the smaller armies with quite outdated gear so it all came down to technique. One shouldn't underestimate their importance and effort in the war.
User avatar #100 to #93 - flybager
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
Partially correct,

Belgium was supposed to be neutral, but the deal was that if Belgium were to be attacked, surrounding countries would help defend it. Germany, Netherlands, GB and France signed that.

The thing was that nobody really gave a flying one about fighting on and for Belgian soil at the last months before the 'great' war started. so Albert I decided to make underground fortresses and defensive structures to make as much of a force out of that tiny army we were allowed to have (about 70k men, I believe)

when the germans had broken trough these defensive structures, either by force or by using tricks, they were halted at the 'Ijzer'. On which the german 'blitz-krieg' was halted. and even though the currently commanding french general asked Albert I to retreat behind french borders, he refused to give up due to wanting to keep on fighting on belgian soil, and also because there was a french general (Foch) who massacred a lot of french soldiers for pretty much nothing. (he even got a statue for that.(leading men to their death by the thousands)) and didn't want their men to have the same fate.

the reason their gear was outdated is because they didn't have the chance to try and research any new weaponry. mainly due the german wehrmacht had occupied roughly 85% of Belgium already. and were shelling the remaining 15% on daily basis,

I've been through that in history class too.
#99 to #93 - anon id: c532d6f2
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
You're forgetting the huge number of British soldiers also there.
Also, I've been to Ypres, they are nice. They gave me chocolate for being in the British Army and I approve of this.
User avatar #101 to #99 - flybager
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(07/20/2013) [-]
The british helped the belgian army roughly after the biltz-krieg was halted. They were trying to wait it out at first, but (after I assume realizing that the belgian shores were about to be occupied by the enemy) they decided to help in full force.

The reason behind them not helping europe at first is because the british never had it for the french, that's one, and because they were feeling deceived by belgium after finding out about the belgian forces massacring the african tribes in Congo, even though they promised it wouldn't be a colony, but a re-civilization center. (or whatever)