so true. . It' s pretty amata that our society has a point were the effort ? Scilly to attract oil from the ground, ship it to a refinery, turn it into plastic,
x
Click to expand

so true

It' s pretty amata that our society has a point were the effort ? Scilly to
attract oil from the ground, ship it to a refinery, turn it into plastic, shape it appropriately,
truck it In it store, buy it, and bring heme
it In be less effort than what it liike. s in just the spoon when
clone with it,
...
  • Recommend tagsx
+1150
Views: 43052
Favorited: 42
Submitted: 06/17/2013
Share On Facebook
Add to favorites Subscribe to rillokush submit to reddit

Comments(113):

[ 113 comments ]
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
User avatar #5 - retardedboss ONLINE (06/18/2013) [-]
I'm pretty sure plastic (or at least the ingredients to make it) is a byproduct of refining crude oil. So yes it would be really stupid IF we didn't already have loads of it just laying around.
User avatar #15 to #5 - thelastamerican (06/18/2013) [-]
Depends on the plastic. Some plastics are made out of plant matter, some are made out of crude oil. It just depends on what characteristics you want your spoon to have. There was even some nano-building tech that never really got off the ground, where scientists dropped a tablet of bacteria and some food for said bacteria into a mold. After a couple hours the waste/dead bacteria was formed into the shape of a spoon. Not plastic strictly speaking, but still cool, and quite a bit like plastic.
But, yeah. For the most part plastics are a byproduct of oil.
#29 to #15 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
plastic is made from oil, if it's not made from oil it is not plastic
#3 - iamtheblackgoat (06/17/2013) [-]
I lose sleep thinking about how ****** our society and general way of life is...almost all of our fuel and good part of our materials science is based on pumping ancient hydrocarbons out of subterranean reserves that will run out and will not be refilled, and nobody can be bothered to give anything even closely resembling a ****

We whine about how our gas is a few cents too expensive and about how the iPhone case we got as a gift is cerulean instead of azure, when here we are set up for a civilization-scale collapse within our children's lifetimes

And that's not even bringing to mind overpopulation, our inability to colonize space, mass pollution, resource scarcity...

TL;DR that picture is basically my life
User avatar #7 to #3 - kasperscar (06/18/2013) [-]
Its greed. Greed causes most allot of our scarcity problems, So does overpopulation, So much want and so little left to take, Yet the human race will take it, use it, call it boring, and whine how we have not enough of it any more. We really need some form of population control.
User avatar #8 to #7 - iamtheblackgoat (06/18/2013) [-]
I hate thinking about it, because whenever I think of different ideas and models for doing that, one of the only effective way to even start on the problem is to curb half of India and China....genocide is (obviously) out, so a mass space-colonization-exodus would be nice, but nobody gives enough of a **** to get that off the ground (pun intended)
User avatar #9 to #8 - kasperscar (06/18/2013) [-]
Haha, Yes i dread the thought of mass genocide, Yet If we are to continue on this planet we may have to come to that. The Birth/Death ratio is imbalanced. I think its like 1 death to every 3 births. This is Extremely bad, But hopefully Redbull will fund the next Colonisation space project within the next few years.
#57 to #9 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Are you stupid?
User avatar #131 to #57 - kasperscar (06/19/2013) [-]
Are you?
#17 to #7 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
says people who don't have personal responsibility
rich people are rich people they are smart
everyone likes to paint rich people as evil greedy *****
well
maybe if y'all didn't go to community college, there would be jobs for you
lazy ******
User avatar #22 to #17 - kasperscar (06/18/2013) [-]
I'm not saying the rich are Greedy, But the majority of humanity is. Also I didn't go to community college anon. You have completely missed my point on greed and shows your lack of understanding in the matter at hand.
#48 to #3 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Overpopulation is more or less a myth. Trust me we will be fine (In terms of food) for a long while. The real issue is the scarcity of reliable and safe sources of water in the coming decades. Of course your comments on oil and coal is correct, but it's still not too late. We're getting closer to making alternative sources of energy cheaper. Hopefully the scientists will nail down nuclear fusion in the next 100 years like they claim
#50 to #3 - jakeharman (06/18/2013) [-]
Our earth will be destroyed and everyone will be dead by the time we run out of oil and just to let you know, there is such thing as the law of conservation of mass, so even if we do run out, science will find a way to recycle just like natural gas cars
User avatar #58 to #3 - miniwilliam ONLINE (06/18/2013) [-]
As a math buff, this hyperbola (atleast that is the graph type it looks like) greatly infuriates me, as the line, in an actual hyperbola, can never and WILL NEVER touch either the X or Y axis, yet this one clearly does.
#76 to #3 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Capitalism.
User avatar #87 to #3 - kaitheguy (06/18/2013) [-]
but i'll be dead. so idgaf.. red thumb me, but i'm not wrong
#92 to #87 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
faggot
are you scared to work ?
User avatar #111 to #92 - kaitheguy (06/19/2013) [-]
no, i just don't give a ****
User avatar #89 to #3 - teaisformugs (06/18/2013) [-]
Over-popularization isn't as bad as you think check this out --> You need to login to view this link
User avatar #93 to #3 - rainbowrush ONLINE (06/18/2013) [-]
Implying you, or Lisa, are intelligent.
#46 to #3 - MasterManiac (06/18/2013) [-]
Just a quick point. Scientists have been working on fusion power as a source of power for years, and are very close to achieving success. Right now the only problem is that they are putting more energy in than they are getting out, but with improved technology we can harvest this energy far more efficiently making it a viable power source. And even if that fails we've still got nuclear power at our disposable, as well as numberous renewable energy sources which are perfectly capable of sustaining our needs for energy if a lot of money is put into their construction and maintenance.
Just a quick point. Scientists have been working on fusion power as a source of power for years, and are very close to achieving success. Right now the only problem is that they are putting more energy in than they are getting out, but with improved technology we can harvest this energy far more efficiently making it a viable power source. And even if that fails we've still got nuclear power at our disposable, as well as numberous renewable energy sources which are perfectly capable of sustaining our needs for energy if a lot of money is put into their construction and maintenance.
#13 to #3 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
When our current fuel sources run out we will be forced into nuclear energy which is in fact better in every way than oil and coal.
There is allready a space program for colonizing Mars, they are allready recruiting people to under go training for the next 8 years, and it will be funded by a reality show over the people joining the expedition.
Pollution will vanish in case our fuel sources run out and we turn to nuclear energy.
Over population is a problem, but "hopefully" it will solve it self, when the economy goes to **** so rich countries can't support 3rd wolrd countries leading to higher death rates. Also, the more people the higher the chances of a world wide epidemic and with the current medical system, where you give anti-biotics and pills for anything, has vastly decreased the efficiency of the immunity system, and only allows for the bacteria with immunity to anti-biotics to survive, meaning the epidemic will be even more deadly.
#14 to #13 - physicsdude (06/18/2013) [-]
Forgot to log in.. just in case you reply and want an answer better reply to this message so i will get it.
User avatar #24 to #14 - iamtheblackgoat (06/18/2013) [-]
Nuclear fission is no the answer, fusion is (but we don't have it); I know about Mars One, I signed up, but that's just a tiny step; what?; will not solve itself, the world will descend into resource wars and chaos first; worldwide epidemic = ****** , and proves my point
#37 to #24 - physicsdude (06/18/2013) [-]
Fission is the answer it is almost good as fusion in all ways, it just has a bad reputation. But reputation won't matter when we are forced to use it due to other energy sources running out, so energy isn't really a problem. We will just be forced to use cheaper, cleaner and safer energy in the form of fission energy. (Yes it is safe, way safer than using oil or coal as energy. It just has a bad reputation.)
User avatar #90 to #37 - iamtheblackgoat (06/18/2013) [-]
I know it's perfectly safe and the public is too retarded to see it...that being said, we still don't have reliable ways to process the waste, and taking care of it (until tech exists to eliminate it) will burden future generations
#25 to #24 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
How the **** is fission not the answer. I know fusion gives up enormous energy, but we're not even close to having it so untill we can stabilize the energy with something (anything) other than oil and coal I say go for it. And there is some sort of special common material that gives up more energy than uranium, but is neither radioactive nor really that rare and it can't/won't explode.
#36 to #25 - ohaibrooooh (06/18/2013) [-]
Thorium. :3
A handful (6kg) can power half a city for an entire year.
#26 to #3 - vrox (06/18/2013) [-]
This is probably not a good way of thinking, but I dont plan on having kids, and Ill be dead by the time it happens, so I dont really care.
#10 to #3 - tariv (06/18/2013) [-]
Pro tip: Diamonds really aren't that rare, but greedy 			*********		 keep supply low so price stays up.   
   
Picture related, it's the state of the world.
Pro tip: Diamonds really aren't that rare, but greedy ********* keep supply low so price stays up.

Picture related, it's the state of the world.
#16 to #10 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
**** you libtard
0
#21 to #16 - kasperscar has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #23 to #10 - kasperscar (06/18/2013) [-]
The misfits stunt crew?
#34 to #3 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
overpopulation will solve it self
basic biology
User avatar #74 to #34 - occamsrazor (06/18/2013) [-]
in the same sense that I can lose 10 pounds fast by cutting my arm off
User avatar #30 to #3 - niggernazi (06/18/2013) [-]
just because you are sad doesnt mean you are intelligent. That pic is heavily flawed.
Smart people fix the problems instead of bitch about them.
Exactly like Hitler.
#72 to #30 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Just because he might not necessarily be intelligent, does not mean his point is any less valid.
User avatar #91 to #30 - iamtheblackgoat (06/18/2013) [-]
I'm too busy starving in college to save the world....I'll get back to you in a few years
User avatar #52 - PubLandlord (06/18/2013) [-]
It is even more interesting that there isn't one person on this earth who could make that spoon from start to finish
#62 - schneidend (06/18/2013) [-]
Not, it certainly is not 			*******		 "so true."   
   
Includes entire process of producing plastic spoon because it helps his argument.   
Excludes entire process of producing metal spoon because it would hurt his argument.   
   
MFW
Not, it certainly is not ******* "so true."

Includes entire process of producing plastic spoon because it helps his argument.
Excludes entire process of producing metal spoon because it would hurt his argument.

MFW
User avatar #75 to #62 - witislimited (06/18/2013) [-]
>swing a pickaxe at ore rich rocks
>bring the rocks out
>refine by furnace, electrolysis or chemical reaction
>ship/fly/truck silver around
>melt it down to +2000*C liquid
>pour liquid into molds
>cool it down with lots of water (heated water/steam could generate power)
>package it in plastic and paper
>sell it
>use, wash, reuse

Both need a lot of oil, one for energy and the other for energy AND plastic, not to mention the difference is that silverware is more durable/better quality. My point is that plastic cutlery is a ******* stupid idea and is only made because it brings in more money then making metal cutlery. Silver cutlery creates a better product for the environment and maybe the cost of refinery. It's just not really profitable in the long run.

User avatar #106 to #75 - schneidend (06/18/2013) [-]
Both items serve different purposes. Are you going to bring enough metal cutlery to serve a company or family reunion picnic? Probably not. You would use plastic, like a sensible person.
User avatar #107 to #106 - witislimited (06/18/2013) [-]
I understand that, what I mean is that silver cutlery makes better use of the same materials plastic cutlery requires. I'm also annoyed that the somewhat needless demand for plastic cutlery such as in cases other then a family reunion (food courts for example) fuels this greed. I mean, I get it if it was a family reunion but what about birthday parties, for example? Is plastic cutlery so necessary? If not, why must the demand be this high?
User avatar #108 to #107 - schneidend (06/18/2013) [-]
Because large gatherings happen all the time, all over the place.
User avatar #109 to #108 - witislimited (06/18/2013) [-]
If they happen all the time in the same place then silver cutlery would make more sense. You don't see families buying plastic forks for every damn dinner/lunch, right?
User avatar #112 to #109 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
I'm talking about large gathers, in different locations, by different groups. There's a supply because there's a demand. Do you know how many companies are out there? How many offices those companies have? Do you know how many of those companies are holding large barbecues and picnics? Suffice to say, it's a lot. That's just one instance of why plastic would be advantageous. Food courts? There's a metric ******* of them, and none of the restaurants in them have enough space to wash hundreds each of knives, spoons, and forks. They also can't afford to constantly replace metal cutlery that does not get returned.
User avatar #113 to #112 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
I know what you're talking about, and the number of such instances doesn't justify all this plastic **** . There are of course, cases where they'll make sense, like company barbecues. But places where cutlery is used regularly, such as dinner tables and birthday venues, silver cutlery would make more sense. As for food courts, don't tell me each takeaway counter lacks a sink to wash stuff in- what's a kitchen without a sink? How're they going to deal with all those greasy spatulas, frying pans and fry strainers otherwise? I only imagine the issue is replacing cutlery which has very varying prices, with ridiculously cheap sets that can be found here: You need to login to view this link
This is old. My point stands. Can we drop the subject now?
User avatar #114 to #113 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
No, your point doesn't stand. Metal cutlery is entirely unfeasible for a food court. The restaurants there would have the equipment to wash their spatulas and other tools, but washing a ton of silverware en masse is not something every kitchen has room or time for. And, again, regardless of the cheapness of metal cutlery, the cost of replacing them versus the cost of just ordering more plastic is a no-brainer. Even if they did decide to nut up and reduce their use of plastics, their competitors would not.
User avatar #116 to #114 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
Sure, let's just gather up all the silverware, dump it in the sink, then leave it until the end of the day...

Or a dishwasher could be hired to wash silver ware as it comes in, creating jobs for this stupid economy, hell, the food court already shares red plastic boards, why not cutlery and dishwashers?

You say "room" not as if the sink wasn't already taking up room and filling it wouldn't be much difference, but you make it sound like all the damn cutlery is going to be dumped on the floor.
User avatar #117 to #116 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
I can see you haven't worked in a restaurant that actually has a significant amount of dishes to clean. You have no idea what you're talking about. You can't wash hundreds of sets of silverware by hand, repeatedly, every day. That's what they have industrial dishwashers for, and that's what a food court kitchen does not have room for. A professional kitchen's sink is for washing your hands or food prep like washing vegetables. You don't just throw a bunch of used silverware in there and tell Frick and Frack to start lathering.
User avatar #119 to #117 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
You're right, I have no experience in this but I doubt that there are more then 100 people in a food court (at least in Canada) at one time, eating from only one restaurant, or where all the damn restaurants (even mcdonald's for example) need cutlery. If a family of 4 go eat some kind of pasta, let's assume they each use a spoon and fork and take 10 minutes.
(2*4)/10 = 1 spoon/fork per 48 seconds on average.
Let's now say there are 80 people in a food court eating from 5 restraunts needing cutlery, who give out a spoon and fork to each person. And let's say they take 10 minutes to finish.
(2*80)/10 = 16 spoons/forks a minute for 5 restaurants to deal with
Roughly 20 people each are served by 1 particular restaurant.
(20*2)/10 = 1 spoon/fork per 15 seconds on average.
I'm likely wrong, but the feasibility of metal cutlery doesn't seem so false.
User avatar #121 to #119 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
*100 people not 80
User avatar #118 to #117 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
Moreover, you have to actually follow guidelines and heat washable dishes and silverware to certain temperatures for a certain length of time. Just hiring some guy to rub a soapy rag all over metal silverware is asking to be shutdown and asking to spread around the latest communicable virus.
User avatar #120 to #118 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
What about a very soapy sponge? My family doesn't get sick at all from unclean plates.
User avatar #123 to #120 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
Also, you still need to cover used dishes in boiling soap and water for a certain amount of time, or health inspectors will crawl inside your asshole and tear their way out through your face.
#122 to #120 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
You and your family probably eat like human beings and not animals. I wouldn't trust the average fast food customer to not wipe their ass with the silverware. They're scum.

<- My face after I helped anybody in any service industry I have ever worked in, ever.
User avatar #124 to #122 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
I'll take your word for it. Would you mind elaborating on the cleanliness guidelines? As in, how much heat for how long?
User avatar #125 to #124 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
I couldn't give you exact figures. I wasn't a dishwasher, and I worked at a restaurant years ago. But, they use a bigass, serious business machine to wash dishes, and the plates and utensils come out scalding hot. It took like two or three guys to handle the wash loads on a busy night, so it's not like creating jobs is the problem.
User avatar #126 to #125 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
For crying out loud, why boiling soap and water? Why not a quick submergion in concentrated alcahol and then a quick rinse of water?
User avatar #127 to #126 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
That would probably stink to high heaven, that's why.
User avatar #128 to #127 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
I don't mean a huge vat of alcahol, just something to dip the biggest pot or pan in. Wouldn't the smell of cooking food cover it up though?
User avatar #129 to #128 - schneidend (06/19/2013) [-]
I don't know. But, wouldn't a thing of alcohol big enough for a big piece of kitchenware eventually just become a big vat of alcohol, scraps of food, and the dead, tiny carcasses of bacteria?
User avatar #130 to #129 - witislimited (06/19/2013) [-]
Of course, why not just scrub the cutlery and plates clean and then dip it into the alcahol?
User avatar #77 to #62 - tinglyturtletaint (06/18/2013) [-]
The argument is that most people have a set of silverware already yet some people still buy these because they don't want to do dishes. And even if you didn't and you chose to continue to buy these instead getting some silverware and washing it. The process to make the metal ones is a one time thing then they get re-used, after a short amount of time from owning them, the process involved in making them is far less work than the processes it took to make several packages of plastic utensils.
User avatar #102 to #77 - schneidend (06/18/2013) [-]
And what about all the energy, oil, and labor that goes into making dishwasher soap and the plastic bottles those soaps come in? Dishwasher parts? The water and electric utilities to run the dishwasher?

The point is, the argument in the content is idiotic because of the imbalance in the comparison. I don't give two ***** what kind of utensils you use. It's faulty logic I can't stand.
User avatar #104 to #102 - tinglyturtletaint (06/18/2013) [-]
>implying people don't wash their dishes by hand.
User avatar #105 to #104 - schneidend (06/18/2013) [-]
> You still need soap for that, or you didn't actually clean a goddamn thing.
> Running water.
> Hot water? Gotta have an electric or gas heater.
> Using a sponge, steel wool, Shamwow, or towel? Somebody had to mass produce all of those products.
That's at least 4 different companies involved in just CLEANING THE SPOON BY HAND. This is not a battle you can win. The argument in the OP is garbage.
User avatar #95 to #77 - rainbowrush ONLINE (06/18/2013) [-]
You can recycle a lot of plastic. It is much more convenient for when traveling, and barely anyone use them regularly at their homes, at least I've never seen it.
User avatar #97 to #95 - tinglyturtletaint (06/18/2013) [-]
I have never been to a persons house where they didn't use silverware. The only time I've ever used or seen plastic silverware used is at picnics, barbecues, parties and things like that.
User avatar #99 to #97 - rainbowrush ONLINE (06/18/2013) [-]
Exactly my point. The main reason for using plastic at parties is because it's much easier to deal with + they might not have enough of the silverware.
#59 - akkere (06/18/2013) [-]
Well, by OP's logic, the plastic spoon is the least effort

You know, you still have to mine the minerals required to make the spoon, ship it to a refinery to have it refined then forged into stainless steel, then have that shipped off to a factory (if the factory owner also owns the mining company and forge or at least has immediate access to it) where it then gets re-forged into utensils and then shipped off to a store, where it then gets purchased.

But then there's also the process of having water being pulled from the reserves, which had to be filtered and processed (implying your area gives enough **** to do that right).

Annnd then you have to get the dish washing liquid, which, like most detergents is made through a compound of sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonat, which then has to be put into a plastic bottle (we already know half of that jargon, don't we, OP?), shipped to a store, sold, and then brought home on top of the other goods, often on separate occasions.

Solid logic, OP.
#60 to #59 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
I think he means that you already have the spoon, but it's easier to get some disposable plastic spoons instead of washing the normal one you already own.
User avatar #61 to #60 - akkere (06/18/2013) [-]
Well, he should've just said "I'm amazed at how people apparently think it's easier to keep running to the store and replenish your plastic spoons than clean metal ones at home" instead of going on a ramble about how apparently the factory production of the plastic utensils is somehow different from the other products and related to the consumer.
#68 - cula (06/18/2013) [-]
do you know how many of those are?

they don't make'em one at a time, itss more like a billion at a time..

just like when you buy it you don't buy just one.
#41 - trivdiego (06/18/2013) [-]
Its all about convenience. Plastic spoons are easily mass produced and can be shipped in great numbers due to how light they are. People use plastic spoons when they do not have metal spoons easily available, like a picnic. Nobody wants to carry around fifty metal spoons for people to eat with, then collect them all up once everybody is done and carry the messy pile of food chunks and spoons back home to wash them all off   
   
tl;dr shut the 			****		 up
Its all about convenience. Plastic spoons are easily mass produced and can be shipped in great numbers due to how light they are. People use plastic spoons when they do not have metal spoons easily available, like a picnic. Nobody wants to carry around fifty metal spoons for people to eat with, then collect them all up once everybody is done and carry the messy pile of food chunks and spoons back home to wash them all off

tl;dr shut the **** up
#69 - donaldducksdick (06/18/2013) [-]
**** your argument OP
#82 - JMF (06/18/2013) [-]
#73 - urumasi (06/18/2013) [-]
gif kind of related
gif kind of related
User avatar #70 - breaken (06/18/2013) [-]
It splashes me
#63 - orksmash (06/18/2013) [-]
Problem solved. Fork and spoon for you food. Knife to pick your theeth after having some bacon
#28 - Sampsy (06/18/2013) [-]
Meh. This is a huge oversimplication (obviously)

You could always just flip it the other way and to show how amazing it is that the global markets allow such complicated processes to be performed so easily.
#2 - whiterabbitradio (06/17/2013) [-]
1st, the spoon showed there is mainly used for camping. Its lighter than a metal utensil and wont bend as easily.

2nd, restaurants use plastic utensils because it's cheaper if their stolen like what clavatninenine does.
#53 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Nobody actually uses plastic spoons at home, right?
... right?
#64 to #53 - spacestalin (06/18/2013) [-]
well if you have guests...
I also normally just wash off the plastic cups and use them when I don't have guesses
it's the same **** plus you don't run the risk of breaking them (and they're sold in packs of 30 for like two bucks)
User avatar #55 to #53 - settlwlvs (06/18/2013) [-]
College students.
User avatar #44 - myrtille (06/18/2013) [-]
So OP you mean to tell me that you've never used a plastic utensil? What about that computer? Why did you buy that instead of planting trees or researching renewable resources? Did you know that you bought that phone from a company that uses child slave labor to put the parts together? Did you know that the companies that that company got their precious metals from uses slave labor in mines in Africa where people stab each other over a peanut or a glass of clean water?
TLDR; OP's just as ****** as the rest of us. we're all consumerist assholes, and we're okay with the fact that we buy things made from human misery and suffering
all we know is that it isn't us or our family.
#71 - tmdarby (06/18/2013) [-]
Comment Picture
#110 - rillokush (06/19/2013) [-]
**** recycling
#86 - John Cena (06/18/2013) [-]
Well, it's not OP's logic since this argument is many years old. But he does agree with it
0
#45 - lizardnigger has deleted their comment [-]
[ 113 comments ]
Leave a comment
 Friends (0)