Home Original Content Funny Pictures Funny GIFs YouTube Funny Text Funny Movies Channels Search

hide menu
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
User avatar #87 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
The creator may say its pronounced jif but i for one will never say jif because it makes me sound like an illiterate idiot who doesn't understand the way the English language works.
#97 to #87 - laxwarriord (05/23/2013) [-]
You clearly don't know enough words that start with the letter G.
User avatar #101 to #97 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
The only word that begins with gif is gift (and variations on the word), how is gif pronounced in gift?
#111 to #101 - laxwarriord (05/23/2013) [-]
It isnt about the F, its about the I, which as broorb correctly points out below, commonly has a G pronounced as a J before it.
User avatar #114 to #111 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
And like i said there are many words which don't so that argument doesn't matter.
#116 to #114 - laxwarriord (05/23/2013) [-]
Ok, you clearly don't want to see reason, goodbye.
0
#129 to #116 - laxwarriord has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #119 to #116 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
Im the one who doesn't want to see reason? You're the one who has put up no argument and then is running away when faced with that which makes you wrong.
#131 to #119 - laxwarriord (05/23/2013) [-]
My argument is that IT IS POSSIBLE to be pronounced with a J, due to it being done in many other words.   
   
You say that it doesn't matter, when it clearly does.   
   
I do not wish to continue conversing with someone who simply denies an argument that goes against his own. If you wish to claim victory because im "running away" then go ahead, it wont effect me at all.
My argument is that IT IS POSSIBLE to be pronounced with a J, due to it being done in many other words.

You say that it doesn't matter, when it clearly does.

I do not wish to continue conversing with someone who simply denies an argument that goes against his own. If you wish to claim victory because im "running away" then go ahead, it wont effect me at all.
#96 to #87 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
'g' is commonly pronounced 'j' in front of an 'i'.

> Giant / Gigantic
> Ginger
> Gipsy (alternative spelling)
> Gingivitis
> Gin
User avatar #108 to #96 - vladhellsing ONLINE (05/23/2013) [-]
Gaol, English spelling of 'jail'.
#118 to #108 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
I was pointing out Gs in front of Is, haha.
User avatar #98 to #96 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
Girl
Gimp
Gift
Give
Gig

There are those that do and those that don't, notably the word gift it contains gif and therefor contains the way it should be said.
User avatar #110 to #98 - honeybiscuit (05/23/2013) [-]
Ill just add my two cents here. GIF, Graphics Interchange Format. I pronounce the G in GIF as I do the G in the word it's representing. Try saying, Jraphics. Yup ******* stupid, I'll stick to the hard g as well.
User avatar #165 to #110 - inametoasted ONLINE (05/23/2013) [-]
cant pronounce it without saying traffic o.O
#103 to #98 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
what I'm saying is, pronunciations are not as much of a rule as they appear. what about giffy, an alternative spelling of jiffy?
User avatar #107 to #103 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
its not in the oxford English dictionary.
#112 to #107 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

pronunciation of a letter differs from town to town in the English language. forgive my reluctance to agree, but to pursue a 'correct' pronunciation is a fool's errand
User avatar #117 to #112 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
it doesn't exist within the English language as a proper word so you can't make an argument about it.
#123 to #117 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
yes, I can. Evolution of a language is quick and lengthy. I doubt you'll find the colloquial derivation of sick in there either
User avatar #126 to #123 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
Giffy is a different spelling of jiffy, you will never find it within the oxford English dictionary because its not actually a word but a wrong spelling of the word jiffy.
#134 to #126 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
there are hundreds of alternative spellings in the dictionary. all you need look for is a word whose description is just "see ____".
User avatar #137 to #134 - Faz (05/23/2013) [-]
Got any examples? Words within the Oxford English dictionary btw and not just an online dictionary.
#271 to #137 - broorb (05/23/2013) [-]
Well, today's obvious ones are aluminium and aluminum, but for a more in-depth example

I'm using the Chambers Dictionary, it's the most expansive one I have - but the examples I can find in about 10 minutes of looking include

jigot / gigot
jilgie / gilgie
jill / gill
jimcrack / gimcrack
jingal / gingall / gingal

As for change in pronunciation, 'gigas' (the root-word of 'giant') is pronounced with a hard 'g', but 'giant' is pronounced with a soft 'g'.
 Friends (0)