x
Click to expand
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
User avatar #159 - alstorp (06/17/2013) [+] (1 reply)
If the knife thing was the other way around... Let's just say 'double standards'.
User avatar #188 to #159 - sabcy (06/17/2013) [-]
men were expected to carry swords at all times.
User avatar #36 - furyofthefallen (06/17/2013) [+] (1 reply)
This.
#237 - Absolute Madman (06/18/2013) [-]
Look at all the ******** down there thinking 300 was an accurate representation of historical events.
#235 - Absolute Madman (06/18/2013) [-]
Of course the tumblrfag feminazis are all over this.
User avatar #219 - ZeDoodler (06/17/2013) [+] (1 reply)
Yeaaaa but not really. As the anon comment below shows (anon did something cool for once, who knew) Sparta was a militaristic state and made the majority of their income by raping and pillaging nearby land. Furthermore, Sparta was still an aristocracy and the whole idea that Sparta didn't care about their lineage was a load of crap, soldiers would bare the crest of their lineage on their shields when they went off to battle. While the top 10% of the most powerful families in Sparta lived like kings in a near utopia, the remaining 90% lived in squalor and were typically slaves, indentured servants and if you were lucky you were a merchant. Otherwise you were off to battle dying for your state. Isn't history fun?
User avatar #211 - CRosBY (06/17/2013) [-]
Meh, Sparta is still overrated.
#207 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
nobody else saw THIS IS MARRIAGE in the lightbulb?
#205 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
I haven't looked at all the comment, so I'm sure someone's mentioned this, but absolutely none of this had anything to do with respecting women. Sparta was a pure militaristic society. Marriage didn't mean much there anyway because the warriors were off training 11 months out of the year. They simply came in, screwed the woman to impregnate her that month, then left again. The woman wasn't concerned with cooking and cleaning, they had slaves for that. Her only job was to produce more warriors. Men often fell in love with other warriors and sex with women was simply a duty to the state. They'd often also get younger men in better shape to impregnate their wives in order to produce stronger children. They were only citizens because they had to run the state and the slaves when the men were at war. They couldn't keep their children either way. Boys left for agoge (military training) at 7 and Girls at 12. Finally, the little thing about the knives has no historical backing.
#172 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
They also bummed each other and little boys
User avatar #169 - fuzzypickles (06/17/2013) [-]
I always see a healthy marriage, as the man, the kind runs his family, but the woman, the queen has all the power, and uses her almost unspoken female influence to authorise and assist the man run the family.
Man cannot function without woman, woman cannot function without woman.
They are instinctively teammates, and if their relationship is worked on for years, they may eventually become soulmates.
User avatar #166 - rawrimdaisy (06/17/2013) [-]
I had an exam on Sparta today and one of the questions was on Spartan women, I'm on this **** ;)
User avatar #163 - zombifier (06/17/2013) [-]
A piece of spartan history I wish I didn't know:

Spartan men have buttsex with eachother just before going to battle
User avatar #152 - graenko (06/17/2013) [+] (1 reply)
they had to keep the women tough too so they could protect their homes while the men went off to war
User avatar #146 - maxmilianoq (06/17/2013) [-]
Spartan women were so respected because they were the only ones who could give birth to spartan men
#106 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
"Helen of Troy" was known as "Helen of Sparta" before she crossed the sea to Troy.
#91 - danightranger (06/17/2013) [-]
Comment Picture
0
#74 - esmebuffay has deleted their comment [-]
#66 - golbot (06/17/2013) [+] (1 reply)
First of all.... Spartan women were not citizens, they were treated better than athenian women, but they were worse off than, say, puritan women in new england. in order to be a citizen in sparta you had to be a member of the hoplite class. AKA, a soldier.

Dont use wikipedia as a source, whoever wrote the "spartan women" wikipedia article is a ******** . Read Herodotus.

#151 to #66 - golbot (06/17/2013) [-]
Thumb me down all you want but i bet you offer a historically correct rebuttal.
User avatar #45 - oxyhawk (06/17/2013) [+] (2 replies)
We're just going to ignore that they killed babies that wasnt perfect?

k
#52 to #45 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
No offense, but that's how nature intended it to be..
#5 - Absolute Madman (06/17/2013) [-]
Have you LEARNED about Spartan women?
Jesus...
they were ******* nuts... NOBODY would disobey them.
 Friends (0)