Show:   Highest Rated Top Rated Newest

#67632 - trisketthebiskit ONLINE (6 minutes ago) [-]
its coming along. this is the main protagonist for a series im working on right now. still haven't decided on a name if anyone wants to suggest any or wants to know more about the series
#67631 - trisketthebiskit has deleted their comment [-]
#67630 - shadowfireball ONLINE (40 minutes ago) [-]
So I have this huge stack of wood I want to do something with, and I thought maybe this board could help with ideas
User avatar #67619 - zaggystirdust ONLINE (13 hours ago) [-]
Can anyone recommend the best kind of drawing tablet for a beginner?
User avatar #67627 to #67619 - inuyuru (2 hours ago) [-]
A bamboo is a good starter. It's complicated enough for experienced artists and simple enough for beginners. If you've got 80 bucks, go for it.
User avatar #67620 to #67619 - citruslord ONLINE (11 hours ago) [-]
This is my standard recomendation for first time tablet buyers.
www.amazon.com/Huion-H610-Pro-Graphics-Drawing/dp/

Wacom is a more common/popular brand, but this is the tablet with roughly equivalent specs to the one above from them. store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH680/
Wacom is a bit like Apple, sure it's nice, but way overpriced.
#67612 - zekonos (18 hours ago) [-]
Okay so this one goes out to all the art experts on this board.

I want to know if my drawing method is good.

I kinda have a hard time seeing a picture in my head and essentially tracing it onto paper (is that what really good artists do?), so instead, I essentially come up with a vague snapshot of what I want and then assemble into the finished product.

Right now I'm just trying to understand form. Not so much detail.

Picture is a drawing I did in maybe 10 minutes using the "assemble" method described above. Is this a bad habit, or should I keep practicing this way?
User avatar #67628 to #67612 - majinooo ONLINE (1 hour ago) [-]
Going off what the other guy said about chicken scratch, depending on how you actually compose the entire picture scribbling can actually look good and give it a certain feeling. Stan Lee and John Buscema said that if done properly scribbling can help to flesh out a character.
And about tracing you're idea, I think that's what every artist wishes they could do. The best thing I figured is be very loose in the beginning to just put something on paper and you can continue to refine it into what you actually wanted.
And lastly I hate drawing things as cubes first and then erasing and all that but one thing I will strongly suggest is to measure the body about 6.5 heads down for the average height and maybe one or two more for heroic and bold characters to make them stand out.
User avatar #67621 to #67612 - alleksi ONLINE (8 hours ago) [-]
Some artists see what they want to draw on the paper and just draw it. Some artists don't necessarily see anything on the paper so they'll just try different things and see what works. Some artists just "feel it out", they just start drawing and see what comes out of it.

I would recommend using simple shapes like cubes and cylinders for construction. You're getting the proportions somewhat down with the wireframe method but it lacks form. Watch some Proko videos or something.
User avatar #67614 to #67612 - eatcawk (17 hours ago) [-]
im no expert, still a young learner, but heres some stuff: dont use scratchy lines, aka chickenscratch. go for longer, smoother lines, itll look smoother and better and take less time, most likely. get some anatomy studying going on, maybe try andrew loomis figure drawing for all its worth. really great book. this ones up to you: try using lighter lines, unless you plan on using a kneaded eraser or tracing over.
#67611 - answer (18 hours ago) [-]
Does anyone have a photo-type guide or link to a guide on drawing mouths in different poisitions/angles? It's the last part of the head that I have trouble drawing
pic unrelated
#67615 to #67611 - mikimowse (16 hours ago) [-]
Not mine, but does this help?
#67617 to #67615 - answer (16 hours ago) [-]
absolutely! thank you
#67618 to #67617 - mikimowse (16 hours ago) [-]
No problem! bro? If there's anything else you need don't hesitate to ask~
#67610 - scandinavianpedo ONLINE (21 hours ago) [-]
made this for my phone as a background, think it turned out kinda nice.

the phone crops the photo, so i did not bother to make it in center or make it pretty around the edges
#67604 - energytwinkie (22 hours ago) [-]
designed one of my chatacters, he's doomed to have a terrible hair cut forever.
uneven, choppy, just the way he likes it

sorry for the lack of drawing, fibro is really making it hard but i try,
#67606 to #67604 - groulgarigon ONLINE (22 hours ago) [-]
It's wierd seeing you draw without color but refreshing as well. Though it seems you've caught the "bucket fill" virus. I'd stay away from that tool entirely to be honest. But it's nice to someone trying new ideas just to see what happens.
User avatar #67608 to #67606 - energytwinkie (22 hours ago) [-]
i only do that to his black shirt
#67609 to #67608 - groulgarigon ONLINE (21 hours ago) [-]
And his hair~ ;A But yiss. Good job overall.
#67602 - energytwinkie (22 hours ago) [-]
human gnar for a friend
(ik ik hands are shit)
#67629 to #67602 - anonymous (1 hour ago) [-]
I really like the head.
User avatar #67601 - itisntthetie (01/27/2015) [-]
anyone know the profile banner res?
User avatar #67622 to #67601 - alleksi ONLINE (6 hours ago) [-]
the gif in my banner is 500x114 which is around the right aspect ratio I think.
#67600 - groulgarigon ONLINE (01/27/2015) [-]
Let's talk hindrances.

For the few times I'm asked what I think holds an artist back when they try and "go pro" I often respond with the following: "I would have to say it's their unwillingness to 'steal'." And yes I will clarify that statement.

For many artists I know, they reach a point in the mid to late game of their career where they think, "Okay I've got the knowledge and imagination to draw stuff out of my head and even make it look good.. I shouldn't need to use other people's pictures anymore." Now while knowledge of subject matter is invaluable it is impossible to remember every single facet of, for example, the human form, in every pose, in every flex of the muscle or distortion of the form. And it is in these situations artists NEED reference perhaps even shortcuts that seem like cheating because it requires less work on the artists part. But that's how the concept art game works. You need to be willing to do most things that will cut your time by as much as possible to make yourself time efficient and give you the ability to refine your creation with the extra time you have.

So say you have this character you're working on and you can't quite get his anatomy right. Time goes by and you come across a picture with exactly the lighting you need at exactly the right angle and exactly the right lighting. A lot of beginners will write this off saying, "I can't use that. It's stealing!" And then proceed to draw it in exactly the same way but wound up wasting 4 times as many hours trying to do it from imagination. Your employer won't care if what you did was a copy of something you saw. He/she will only care about efficiency and quality of work. And if there's already that material out there and it will cut your time down, use it.

Now to clarify, if what you're doing is finding something and making a 1:1 copy of it on all levels and then adding a few details (which I'll call "the pokemon method") that is plagiarism, the bad kind of stealing. But if you are simply finding reference to give your creation those all important details that bring it to life, that is using the resources at your disposal.

If the game of concept art calls for you learning a 3D modelling program to make your rendering faster or for you to use something that already exists and taking bits and pieces from that to make your work better, then that's what you do. If the game changes then you change with it or get left behind.
User avatar #67623 to #67600 - adunsaveme (4 hours ago) [-]
glad you didnt actually leave fj that one time meng
#67625 to #67623 - groulgarigon ONLINE (3 hours ago) [-]
I am too. Dark times those were. Fortunately a fellow artist who I massively respect was willing to lend a hand and talk me out of quitting for good. x)
User avatar #67626 to #67625 - adunsaveme (3 hours ago) [-]
aw yiss
#67599 - ripgeckosncherios (01/27/2015) [-]
Hey guys, I thought you guys might be able to help me, I am looking for a fairytalesque story with pictures attached to it that was really good.
It was pretty dark/creepy and involved a dude killing his brother and then finding out he was alive again.
The same person also has a fairytalesque story about a mermaid and a prince which meet in a forest, they can never be together until she drags him underwater and kills him to be with him basically.
Not the correct place to post this, but no clue who else to ask.
Thanks for and help in advance
#67595 - thirdjess (01/27/2015) [-]
One hour speed paintings
User avatar #67581 - ewl (01/26/2015) [-]
just got my bamboo wacom. but im looking for some simple to use and free software food for drawing and sketching or sculpting. or am i better of trying to find cracked copies of photoshop and zbrush then watching youtube videos?
#67616 to #67581 - mikimowse (16 hours ago) [-]
Also KRITA works pretty nice too, completely free as well
User avatar #67594 to #67581 - thirdjess (01/27/2015) [-]
Couldn't give SAI higher commendations, as for modelling C4D is really good but a bit extreme in the customisation so it'd take a bit to get the hang of the basics.
User avatar #67582 to #67581 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
SAI, Manga studio, Photoshop are probably the three most popular ones. pick your poison. Don't have experience with modeling software.
#67574 - LuckyReyes ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
Besides the feet I like how this one turned out.
I got a little too lazy in the end but other then that,
I am glad with how this one turned out.
#67567 - triplegold (01/26/2015) [-]
okay so for some reason i havent painted anythin for a year. i tried just now and i remember how fun it is. dont know why i stopped... anyways i wanna get back into the game so can you guys post some artist galleries for inspiration? preferably ones that are updating. thanks.

also, is this place still filled with autism? i came here because its the only art forum/board i remember, but i remember this board being really cringy for the most part.

pic related 2 min sketch i just made.
User avatar #67593 to #67567 - pickaxe ONLINE (01/27/2015) [-]
ashwara.deviantart.com/

this nigga' got me to draw in the first place
User avatar #67598 to #67593 - triplegold (01/27/2015) [-]
i think i just got a new favorite artist. thx maneee
User avatar #67592 to #67567 - johnri ONLINE (01/27/2015) [-]
I enjoy yuumei's digital paintings and such. yuumei.deviantart.com/

User avatar #67584 to #67567 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
veramundis.deviantart.com/ Not a fan of the subject matter but his rendering and values are pretty great.
User avatar #67583 to #67567 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
Board is slow as fuck and only has a handful of regular posters.
User avatar #67569 to #67567 - teoyeezy (01/26/2015) [-]
I'll gladly self-plug my page if you wanna see it, I don't have any painting work on there though.

here's one i like in particular -

damiangoidich.tumblr.com/
User avatar #67570 to #67569 - triplegold (01/26/2015) [-]
thanks dude
User avatar #67572 to #67571 - triplegold (01/26/2015) [-]
thats sick
User avatar #67573 to #67572 - teoyeezy (01/26/2015) [-]
thanks!
User avatar #67578 to #67577 - derpwolf (01/26/2015) [-]
I finally got a tablet.

I was working through some stuff.
User avatar #67565 to #67560 - eziosminegtfosluts (01/26/2015) [-]
:o I love all these sketches, you're pretty talented.
#67551 - katieuber (01/26/2015) [-]
Katieuber-san x Bex_kurasai bf's
#67549 - groulgarigon ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
Doodled up a face. God I love a good cup of expression in the morning. Surprisingly not from a photo.
#67550 to #67549 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
I wanna see you do like a baroque/romanticism painting
User avatar #67553 to #67550 - eatcawk (01/26/2015) [-]
how does one achieve drawing one like that? (a baroque/romanticism drawing or painting)
#67556 to #67553 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
be good at painting I guess.
They usually have a lot of shit going on in them and the poses are very exaggerated and anatomy very visible
User avatar #67557 to #67556 - eatcawk (01/26/2015) [-]
kk bunch of naked strong dudes. thx <3
User avatar #67558 to #67557 - alleksi ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
pretty much
#67552 to #67550 - groulgarigon ONLINE (01/26/2015) [-]
It seems interesting and I might try it some day. But for now I'm going to keep it simple~ Just a concept right now. But it's gonna be part of a bigger project~
User avatar #67603 to #67552 - energytwinkie (22 hours ago) [-]
(as a late suggestion, the leg closer to us looks a bit short compared to the other, i love the drawing tho!!!)
#67605 to #67603 - groulgarigon ONLINE (22 hours ago) [-]
Yeah all the real work definitely went into the face! Heheh. The rest kind of suffers from... I guess what I would call concept artiness. xD