Uni. I don't need no description. student: hey government can I have some money to go to university government: sure here you go. you' ll have to pay it back bu student university Government scottish uk us
Upload
Login or register

Uni

Click to block a category:GamingPoliticsNewsComicsAnimeOther
 
Uni. I don't need no description. student: hey government can I have some money to go to university government: sure here you go. you' ll have to pay it back bu

I don't need no description

student: hey government can I have
some money to go to university
government: sure here you go.
you' ll have to pay it back but only when
you' re earning 221, a year, and if
you don' t pay it off after 30 years we' ll
just write it off, don' t worry about it man
scottish government: nah man just go
to uni we ain' t gonna charge you
us government: no. you gotta pay it
yourself. upfront. your parents have to
save up from the moment you' re born.
good luck, fucker.
...
+2369
Views: 78384 Submitted: 03/06/2014
Hide Comments
Leave a comment Refresh Comments (859)
[ 859 comments ]
> hey anon, wanna give your opinion?
asd
#24 - jakatackka
Reply -411 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
As a trade-off, though, American colleges are the best in the world.
#123 to #24 - anon id: 5fbb2dc8
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
There's a difference between "has the best colleges" and "has the top colleges". When people say that, they mean MIT, Harvard and Yale, which that is based on the success of the people who attend. In that regard, they are right. Those colleges only compete with Oxford, Trinity College and the University of Hamburg in prestige.
State Universities don't exactly rank with the State Universities of Europe. In fact, it was on Funnyjunk but I learned it elsewhere (being an anon), 8% of student athletes are functionally illiterate in America.
Guess how many people are in college on football scholarships alone? Take a guess, bucko.
User avatar #334 to #123 - clannadqs
Reply +6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Way to make many claims and not back up a single one.
User avatar #570 to #123 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Actually the US state schools are much better than European ones. I wouldn't expect a European to know anything however. All you guys do is get your info from the internet.
#808 to #570 - european
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
User avatar #404 to #24 - negativeone
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Must be why Oxford isn't in the US.
#641 to #24 - anon id: 339f33fd
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
lol
User avatar #679 to #24 - mostlyjunk
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Whoa, a bit late to the party but sorry about your red thumbs, im sure American universities are very good, though i must say that I've got a friend from the USA, who went to harvard and came to visit me in Belgium and told me that the stuff we have to learn is a lot more and a lot harder than what he was having... I dunno, we're not even in the top ranks, but our uni's are pretty good and the level is quite high...
Anyways, I'll give you a thumb up though it won't make much difference, just because you didn't delete your post.
User avatar #733 to #679 - hammywh
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
didn't even take a half a second to look it up on google/wikipedia?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities
just because the course is harder doesn't make it better, you could be learning something that isn't really required, while making it really overly complicated.
User avatar #735 to #733 - mostlyjunk
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Lol, the **** is this, doesn't even mention our uni at leuven which is better than the one in Gent, yes rely on wikipedia for **** like this, please >_>
User avatar #743 to #741 - mostlyjunk
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Ok, I get it now, it read the ranking methodology, what complete bull if you excuse my language. With this method smaller universities in a small country that could be the best in the world, would never even get recognised, still what good does it do for both of us wasting time here arguing of the nets, its not like i can change your opinion on anything, but thanks for the info, and best of the day to you sir.
User avatar #745 to #743 - hammywh
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
same to you, but if you're gonna argue on the internet, at least provide some sort of evidence rather than just "my friend says my homework is harder"
User avatar #789 to #24 - zuflux
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That doesn't help when most of the population can't get into one because they're to poor.
#209 to #24 - MasterManiac
Reply +50 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
User avatar #261 to #209 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
fapmancon huffe thatirishdude anonymoose lamarisagoodname sorenlolz metalmind
#545 to #261 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
fapmancon huffe thatirishdude anonymoose sorenlolz metalmind androiddxx thespic nickypickle

Lel, if you're going to pick something to hate America about, you should probably be sure that it's not ******** first.
#817 to #545 - nickypickle
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I didnt say anything
User avatar #827 to #817 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You red thumbed tho
User avatar #828 to #827 - nickypickle
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
so?
#727 to #545 - anon id: 02c8f1c1
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Stop mentioning us and go cry somewhere else. I said top does not matter. You are mentioning me when I said the top does not matter. Go jack off somewhere else.
User avatar #729 to #727 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Hey, not my fault that you're wrong but can't admit it. If you're going to hate America then at least hate it for legitimate reasons. Dick.
User avatar #449 to #261 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
sorenlolz and androiddxx are mad they got proven wrong.
#263 to #261 - fapmancon
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
#266 to #263 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
eat a dick
#441 to #261 - lamarisagoodname
Reply -5 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
please explain to me why most of your university graduates are either coming to my country or are working the cash register when I go do my holiday shopping down there

you might have really good universities but you've got crap education
User avatar #448 to #441 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You uh, got something to prove that "most' of our uni graduates are working the cash register?

How do you figure that? If we have the best unis then they obviously have good education as well.
User avatar #506 to #448 - lamarisagoodname
Reply -4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I personally have friends in the states that are trying to find work but are coming up here instead

you're missing the point here, just because the states has the most top-end ivey business schools or elitist IT institutions doesn't count for much in reality, seeing as most americans aren't going to get into a program that accepts only 40 people out of 100,000 applicants, but are going to go to a university you can get into. it's these universities that matter in reality, not some posh harvard collegiate. and in reality, it's ridiculously overpriced and unstable.
User avatar #524 to #506 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Wow, anecdotal stories account for the entirety of America? Fascinating, tell me more.

Even "just" state universities here are usually very good (for example, the ones in Texas, Arizona, and California), and these are where many students go to. I won't argue that they are overpriced, but you're high if you think American higher education is anything but excellent. Where our education is **** (mostly) is in primary and secondary education. If you're going to insult America's capabilities then at least insult it correctly.
User avatar #526 to #524 - lamarisagoodname
Reply -3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
jimmy your way out of it all you like, you've got plenty of unemployed grads in your country (and I'm not talking about english majors, either) and that's certainly nothing to boast about.
User avatar #568 to #526 - damping
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Dude you are moron who has not posted one fact yet. The fact is the US has over 50 of the top 100 universities in the world. Your country probably has less than 5.
User avatar #536 to #526 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Jimmy my way out of what? You're conclusion that the majority of Americans are working as cashiers because they can't find work based off of "friends in the states" is retarded. I'm aware we have unemployed grads, but so does every first world nation. It's not a problem particular to America in the slightest, and it is no where near a majority.
#685 to #24 - starmandx
-2 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #764 to #685 - damping
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Boy, you are a moron.
User avatar #464 to #24 - guymandude
Reply +6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
why is this guy getting so many thumbs down? From the people I have met from outside the US that go to my university, they all say that it is common knowledge where they come from that the US has the best colleges. Now, it is certainly true that we have abysmally ****** elementary/high schools, but I think that is for some reason getting carried over to US's Colleges, which isn't really fair. From what one chinese student told me, there are about 2 decent colleges in China, and if you don't get into those, then you get sent to the US (if the parents have the money) because almost any mid-range and up University in the US is better than the majority of China's colleges. This sentiment was supported by a British student, and one German student (which I was surprised by, as I figured Germany would have some decent colleges).
User avatar #298 to #24 - CupcakeMaster
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Why is this thumbed down to oblivion? It isn't that far from the truth.
User avatar #374 to #24 - cudlefish
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I think everyone gets made at this because they're on the hating America bandwagon. They shouldn't be mad, it's true.
User avatar #535 to #24 - yojo
Reply +8 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Dude I'm sorry you're getting **************** even though you're right :l
#309 to #24 - jakatackka
Reply +9 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
User avatar #378 to #24 - failtolawl
Reply +11 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
quite a bit of angry europeans on today...
#41 to #24 - thatirishdude
Reply +24 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Comment Picture
#70 to #41 - anon id: 6ba52ad0
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
but it's actually true...
User avatar #627 to #41 - damping
Reply -2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You like to laugh off your poor education?
User avatar #42 to #24 - nought
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
negative thumbs are from people who know its true but don't want to accept it.
#27 to #24 - anon id: b55c3cd1
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
#269 to #24 - therealsupanova
Reply +6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You should have seen this coming man, everyone loves attacking the US on this site for some reason, but regardless here's some information for everyone to accept/deny - your choice.

The United States globally and historically has been home the highest concentration of top tier universities in the world for about the last 50-60 years or so. Part of what makes these universities so great is that they attract a lot of foreign students, so those that attend MIT/Harvard/Princeton/Stanford/Caltech and so on are the best in the world, not just the United States. It seems that many people like to emphasize how important education and its availability is to them, yet not many promote international cooperation on the university level. If education is so important to you then why do you prioritize trying to one-up Americans than work together with them? Further, the cost of going to top schools in the United States is affordable about 99% of the time. When a school like MIT accepts you its because they think that you are a valuable investment, meaning that they will drop as much need based aid as you need so that you can attend. On an anecdotal note, most of the time I've seen or spoken to people that have gone to top schools, have done so on a full ride. So all in all my point is that before you go in bashing America, which is totally fine because there's plenty wrong with this country, at least be responsible enough to do the research, and criticize the things worth criticizing - use that education you're so proud of.

Thanks
#270 to #269 - therealsupanova
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
sorry for all the ****** spelling and grammar >.>
User avatar #72 to #24 - cdsams
Reply -7 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
The US at one point did have the best colleges in the world; but, the unions along with the government decided to make manual labor so expensive that all manual labor was shipped to foreign lands. In effect the majority, if not all, high paying positions started demanding degrees for higher education. As a result of that, the socialist circle jerk ********** in size and gained enough ground to say that all people deserve a college education. As of now, America is the top supplier of self centered ass holes shipped with overpriced degrees which specialize in circle jerking .
#93 to #72 - anon id: 6ba52ad0
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
What are you on? Why people believe ***** like this? Pretty sure it's because someone is jealous of something.

US still has the best colleges in the world. It doesn't matter if you don't like it, it won't change a thing.
User avatar #97 to #93 - cdsams
Reply -8 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Sir, have you ever heard of Racial Studies, Women Studies, or soft science? If not, then boy are you in for a surprise because only America thinks that these degrees are worth something. In fact, it has gotten so bad that the US has started a little project called STEM science, technology, engineering, and mathematics which assess the shortage of internationally useful studies.
User avatar #99 to #97 - cdsams
Reply -6 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
*addresses
User avatar #121 to #24 - anonefgthree
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Damn, all these thumbs down from 13 year old idiots.
User avatar #644 to #24 - MrJakkadakka
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
So they ******* should be better if you've gotta pay that much for them. Jesus christ.
User avatar #537 to #24 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Don't make a right comment on FJ if it portrays America in a positive light. You need to be a butthurt foreigner who hates America so much that they make up **** just to have an excuse to hate us more.
User avatar #757 to #24 - tonyxx
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
American colleges are overpriced as ****, unless you're some kid whose parents had the money to buy you a brand new car for your first car, you in mad debt.
User avatar #371 to #24 - sirbonzaiatak
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Not gonna even try spitting out facts as to why you are correct, but you are indeed correct.
User avatar #666 to #24 - joshlol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
what is Cambridge
User avatar #736 to #666 - hammywh
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
ranked 5th in the world as of 2013, with (in descending order) Harvard, Stanford, University of California, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology in front of it...
User avatar #752 to #736 - joshlol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
lol I know
really depends where you look for rankings even

I just find it funny how many americans here are bragging about the fact there are good universities in the US
unless you are actually attending you have nothing to brag about at all
User avatar #781 to #752 - hammywh
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
yeah that's true, the place I'm going to is pretty much a step down from the high school I went to... But it's all I can afford at the moment and I'm a god awful student so what the hell.
#740 to #24 - seriouslyblack
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
HE'S JUST SAID SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT AMERICA

ARREST HIM
User avatar #578 to #24 - moldybreadcrumb
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Your sense of humor surpasses my understanding.
User avatar #328 to #24 - clannadqs
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Wait, why are people thumbing him down? It's a well known fact that nearly fifty of the top one hundred universities in the world are in the US. Haha, I'm rubbing my nipples to all of this jealousy. I love being the center of attention on any website. Must suck to be from some tiny European nation that doesn't contribute to the world at all.
#805 to #328 - european
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
european not tiny
european stronk
User avatar #282 to #24 - kingofthenoobs
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
USA education system is ranked 20th in the world currently.
#304 to #282 - jakatackka
Reply +6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That's public education, though, which is primary and secondary school. That doesn't count the various colleges and universities
User avatar #320 to #304 - kingofthenoobs
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Thanks for the correction!
User avatar #538 to #320 - yojo
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Holy ****. I admire you for that. You don't see that often.
#336 to #282 - clannadqs
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
#236 to #24 - IceViper
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Take this, you will need it.    
   
America does have SOME of the best colleges in the world, not to mention so does the UK, Germany, Australia and Japan etc....   
   
What made you get thumbed into a sea of red death was you said American colleges are the best in the world. This is a gross overgeneralization. If you do that here on the magical interwebs you will get ******, period.
Take this, you will need it.

America does have SOME of the best colleges in the world, not to mention so does the UK, Germany, Australia and Japan etc....

What made you get thumbed into a sea of red death was you said American colleges are the best in the world. This is a gross overgeneralization. If you do that here on the magical interwebs you will get ******, period.
User avatar #388 to #236 - thesoulseeker
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
See guys, this guy has a point.

I also agree that the US has some of the best universities, but as you said the average is also important. I think that generally US collages/universities do worse than their European counterparts.
User avatar #640 to #388 - clannadqs
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
>"I think"

That's where your entire comment was discredited.
User avatar #665 to #640 - thesoulseeker
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Yes, that's my opinion on the matter.
Though I did try to find statistics regarding this, but the closest I found was a graph showing the percentage of graduates in different countries, from which I couldn't get much info and a list of US universities in the top 500. There were about 150 US universities out of the top 500, which is a lot for one country to have, but it's not what I was looking for.
If you can find a statistic on how the average university in the US measures up to the average in other countries that would be nice, because I can't find one.

Source for the US universities in the top 500:
www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings-2013/USA.html
#92 to #24 - anon id: 62f858c6
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
/r/ ban
#233 to #24 - thelastelephant
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
What American college taught me
#29 to #24 - anon id: b55c3cd1
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
User avatar #563 to #24 - damping
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I am sorry for butthurt Europeans. When they are told they are dumber than us, they get pissed. I like you.
#25 to #24 - huffe
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
nice try
nice try
User avatar #332 to #25 - clannadqs
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
A little test. Find any two countries in the world and I am willing to put ten thousand dollars down that they, combined, don't reach the levels that the US has for top 100 universities in the world.
#340 to #332 - justapubbie
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
My two countries are the US and UK. Your move. Together they are better than the US alone
#46 to #25 - anon id: 9f66a8ed
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Out of the top 10 Universities in the world 4 are in the U.K.
The rest are American schools.
#202 to #46 - anon id: b8599113
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
The best universities the US has to offer may be better than the best other countries have to offer. But what about the average university? And what about the difficulty of getting to study at a top university? Is access restricted to those with rich parents, or could anyone gain entry?
#60 to #46 - anon id: 4af583d0
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
No doubt research done by an American or British based university

Britfag btw
#315 to #24 - JHDog
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
American here
User avatar #333 to #24 - letting
Reply -4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Hahahaah.


Nope, try England. Or maybe Switzerland. Places that actually invest in education for the betterment of its people, not treat it as another way to make money.

And I'm an American.
User avatar #766 to #333 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Moron.
User avatar #111 to #24 - mistafishy
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
If by most overpriced, temperamental, stingy, and glorified, than yes.

As a pround 'Murican, I have HUGE problems with two things in our country: One is the way we deal with foreign policy. The other is education. Education should be a top priority for the government's budget because as it stands, Americans piss away billions on education that often isn't even worth a **** just to make an extra 8 grand a year than a waiter would. Seriously, $200,000 for four years of your life is ******** to have to spend on something that should be standard. the only way to cut this down is to commute to school or not go at all, and even then there are big consequences.

Some things shouldn't be left to the dogs.
#343 to #24 - furiousmarshmellow
Reply -10 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I'm American.   
   
And you're still wrong.
I'm American.

And you're still wrong.
User avatar #765 to #343 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You are borderline retarded aren't you? No way you got into college.
#826 to #765 - furiousmarshmellow
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Comment Picture
#731 to #24 - hammywh
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Actually, you're right actually according to a bunch of sources, both American and Non-American basically it's more that people who go to college end up only looking for jobs where they can sit behind a desk, sit on their ass, and do work that way. Problem is, this is becoming the standard and the more hands-on jobs, plumbing, electrical engineering, etc, are starting to become less desirable and less common, thus increasing the demand for them, slowly but surely. Meanwhile in other countries, it's more of the opposite problem, the people aren't as widely college educated and so there are more benefit programs helping people get into college in order to increase its country's education rates. Of course, I'm just a random person on the internet so I could be completely wrong, just figured I'd give my 2 cents.
#28 to #24 - fapmancon
Reply +840 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Comment Picture
#43 to #28 - MikeLit
Reply +152 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Eat a dick
#142 to #43 - anonymoose
Reply +107 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
random picture with no source and a scoring system with no information on how they were scored? Sounds like some concrete stuff right there.

I found my own one here.
#299 to #142 - MikeLit
Reply +46 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Let's take a look at Wikipedia's top universities. You'll notice a trend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities
User avatar #670 to #299 - asmodeu
Reply +12 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
"The ranking compares 1200 higher education institutions worldwide according to a formula that took into account alumni winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals (10 percent), staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals (20 percent), highly cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories (20 percent), articles published in the journals Nature and Science (20 percent), the Science Citation Index and Social Sciences Citation Index (20 percent) and the per capita academic performance (on the indicators above) of an institution (10 percent). The methodology is set out in an academic article by its originators, N.C. Liu and Y. Cheng.
The methodology used by the Shanghai Rankings is entirely academic and research oriented." (copy pasted from your link)

So these tests are based on how famous their staff and students are/become.
It doesn't take into account how many of all students get out well prepared for everything life throws at them. It doesn't take into account how many of the students are actually living a happy life afterwards - or if the University helped them reach their goals.

Also - I believe that Nobel prizes are biased and broken for quite a while now. I mean.. in 2009 Obama won the Nobel Peace prize for something sounding really vague and unclear ("for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.").
And look who he was up against www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/and-the-other-nobel-peace-prize-nominees-were-1801350.html . I don't believe he deserved to win it and neither did Al Gore in 2007.
User avatar #786 to #670 - zuflux
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
The committee that chooses the winner seems to care more about getting famous personalities to Norway rather than what they've actually done.

I hate to say it, but Norwegian media hungers for self affirming comments and references to our country's natural beauty.

As for the subject of this list of american institutes, let me put this in.
The united states has for a long time now, been a sort of hub for education and culture. America is one of those countries where you can get stuff you can't get most other places, Generally speaking. It's a large country with much to see, and was at one point at the front of developing many new technologies, though that has seemed to declined lately.

But the problem with these numbers is that it relies on rich white kids to buy their way into school, and in some cases grades.
Besides, it leaves you in a huge debt, and you're left pretty much on your own.

In Norway it's much like in England. We get a loan from the government, and start paying it back once we're earning a stable income.
User avatar #687 to #670 - kungfulouie
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Al Gore brought the awareness about pollution global. That's a pretty big deal. Lots of people had their theories about why climate change was happening, but the bottom line was that the world need to stop turning the planet into garbage. He helped kick start sweeping changes in pollution control, which effected cities everywhere in the world. That's a good thing, to bring it to the forefront like that.
User avatar #694 to #687 - asmodeu
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I'm sorry, did a presentation of why to have some bloody common sense really win over a woman who suffered and got killed for saving 2,500 innocent lives ?
newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/10/15/nobel-committee-bypassed-holocaust-savior-al-gore
I realize the article itself is biased, but we should treat our martyrs with more respect, least we be left with a world where people don't give a damn about keeping peace with each other.
User avatar #700 to #694 - kungfulouie
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
While you can't deny the importance of a person saving many individual lives, to change the planet as whole is miraculous. Even though it's considered common sense now, the reforms it made world wide helped fix highly populated countries from destroying our entire existence with unregulated amounts of toxic everything. "We all know it's not good to throw all that black death into the sky and the ground and the water, but here's why". And the WORLD changed. Well, at least a big chunk of it.
User avatar #703 to #700 - kungfulouie
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You have no idea how sad it makes me that Bush won the election instead of him, on some weirdy recount, electoral college ********. At least I voted the right way. One guy won the freaking Noble Prize, the other one.... was Bush.
User avatar #705 to #703 - asmodeu
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You guys should be happy now that you have a Nobel peace prize winning president
#707 to #705 - kungfulouie
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
We are.  We also tried to show the world that all kinds of prejudices are stupid.  Unfortunately, unlike global warming, not a lot of the world listened, but at least we told them.
We are. We also tried to show the world that all kinds of prejudices are stupid. Unfortunately, unlike global warming, not a lot of the world listened, but at least we told them.
#582 to #299 - andytags
Reply +11 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
*chanting*
USA USA USA USA USA
#656 to #299 - xxmemosxx
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
But according to your original post it was much different than this one.

SO WHICH IS IT? Oh right... you don't know, you're just looking for anything that agrees with you.
User avatar #716 to #656 - MikeLit
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I posted the source for my other ranking
User avatar #783 to #299 - pocoloco
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
yey... I may be going to the ETH in Zürich. Well... more like I have the chance. Sadly... you cant study medicine at the ETH so I´ll have to go to the Uni... which is right next to the ETH. Its special though. There are several programms so that Uni students go to some classes of the ETH and vice-versa. Really good system and really good colleges.
User avatar #702 to #299 - froggets
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
If there is something we all learned at school was this "Never EVER! use Wikipedia as a source material"
User avatar #712 to #299 - chimpaflimp
Reply -3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Yes, because Wikipedia is known for being a great source of accurate information.
User avatar #738 to #712 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
It's funny because Wikipedia is a great source of accurate information.
User avatar #739 to #738 - chimpaflimp
Reply -3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
No. It isn't.
#283 to #142 - theflamingfire
Reply +23 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I want to go to the imperial collage criminal scum...
User avatar #359 to #142 - MikeLit
Reply +14 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
And, for the record, my first picture came from the Guardian.

www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/sep/10/qs-world-top-100-universities-data-mit-harvard-cambridge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Guardian a British newspaper?
User avatar #440 to #359 - snowshark
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Aye it is. However it would appear that in the three graphs shown the UK universities continually scored highly whilst in the second graph the US universities performed abysmally. That kind of data is just not something you can ignore.

On a more serious note Cambridge > Harvard... because I say so. It gets to a point when you reach the top universities that all important forms of measurement are close enough that the only differences occur within bounds of acceptable deviation so really it's impossible to ever choose one that is actually better than the other because it is simply too close to call most of the time. Hence I stick with Cambridge. Is it the best? Who knows for sure? All I know is my sister went there and attended lectures done by Steven Hawking and robo-cripple > all other lecturers in my admittedly somewhat biased books.

But yeah the US has a slew of good education establishments though honestly it's to be expected considering it's size, wealth, and general level of education. Whilst the majority of the US isn't all that smart at all the US is just -so- big that the intelligent minority is still large enough to fill -THAT MANY- universities and the -really- good universities only have so much room meaning more -really- good universities can pop up because there are more students vying for the limited positions each year.

Naturally it's conducive to an upwards trend in the quality of those establishments on top of the amount of money they demand from their students being higher than other countries. It's far better for your pocket to go to university in other countries (and ultimately leaves you without any important differences since Cambridge/Oxford look as good on your CV as Harvard/Yale), but the US is a much more fertile breeding ground for good teaching establishments so it just makes sense there are that many good Unis there.
#748 to #440 - therealsupanova
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I'm so tired of having to make this point over and over

web.mit.edu/facts/tuition.html

top schools give out more need based financial aid than any other schools in the country. If you are good enough to get into MIT, they will make sure you can afford MIT.
User avatar #771 to #748 - snowshark
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Dude, I know. I'm talking in general. Most won't be good enough for those schools and won't be able to get much, if any help in order to get into their chosen universities, however in the UK you get both grants and those nice student loan benefits and in Scotland it's free.

Point is, it is better in general for your wallet to be studying in certain other countries and that the level of the universities are pretty consistent. A medium uni in the UK is as good on a resume as a medium uni in the US on a CV.
#747 to #440 - therealsupanova
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
#655 to #142 - baaltomekk
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
- a lot
User avatar #58 to #43 - whatley
Reply +25 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
>Oxford worse than Imperial

Seriously? Who the **** wrote this ****?
User avatar #360 to #58 - MikeLit
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
User avatar #446 to #360 - snowshark
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Oh and Whatley is right there. The top 4 universities in the world are Harvard, Cambridge, Yale, and Oxford. (I think it was Yale at least... I forget.) They're the old-guard universities that are always in the top 5 and for a slew of damned good reasons and seeing the Imperial above Oxford is a little worrying as it just doesn't hold up to scrutiny unless Oxford has really suffered of late and the Imperial has really improved.
User avatar #108 to #43 - cdsams
Reply +8 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
This argument isn't worth **** without source.
User avatar #322 to #43 - dadukesta
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
The thing is while we do have some of the top universities in the world, we also have the most ****** universities in the world and they operate on the same money scale as the top universities. Same ******** cost with no where near the same results.
#191 to #43 - theplogyr
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Actually all good MIT-level and the likes university are not even that good. They take in the best of the best, the most promising people and, woopty-doopty ******* amazing, they give back to the world, promising, competent graduates.
User avatar #151 to #43 - bronynexgen
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
The fact that I don't see ETH Zurich makes me think this list is ********.
User avatar #777 to #151 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Or, it is not as good of a University as you think.
User avatar #850 to #777 - bronynexgen
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/09/2014) [-]
It ranks as #1 in Europe.
User avatar #853 to #850 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/10/2014) [-]
Also just to let you know. ETH Zurich is 12th on that list and literally is the best college in Continental Europe.
User avatar #852 to #850 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/10/2014) [-]
I think that would be Cambridge.
User avatar #398 to #43 - esquaredsixteen
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Attended UofC. Fill with pride.
User avatar #204 to #43 - badgerbaiting
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Point remains if I went to those universities, the UK government would assist me in paying to go.
User avatar #699 to #43 - ilovetocuddle
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I'm from MA I find this hard to believe
User avatar #718 to #699 - MikeLit
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That's because New Englanders have an inferiority complex with Europe
User avatar #719 to #718 - ilovetocuddle
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
We are some of the worst people in America,
Went to Texas once. Strangers talked to me and held the doors. ***** mad weird yo.
#667 to #43 - joshlol
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
#657 to #43 - nicoquitemad
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Just because there are a lot of prestige universities in America with high passing percentages or ratings doesn't mean all your colleges are the best, nor that the sum of your ratings are the best, nor that they employ the best teaching/learning strategies.   
But yes, Harvard is pretty much the best University. It seems everyone everywhere agrees on that.    
 However, having paid a fortune to attend, it is no wonder that students study harder than, say, Denmark where you just need your grades to continue. I'd say that the fortune and pressure combined makes every american college student study at least twice as hard as the average free college student.    Again, this doesn't mean the colleges they're at are better, that just means they're more motivated.   Or afraid.
Just because there are a lot of prestige universities in America with high passing percentages or ratings doesn't mean all your colleges are the best, nor that the sum of your ratings are the best, nor that they employ the best teaching/learning strategies.
But yes, Harvard is pretty much the best University. It seems everyone everywhere agrees on that.
However, having paid a fortune to attend, it is no wonder that students study harder than, say, Denmark where you just need your grades to continue. I'd say that the fortune and pressure combined makes every american college student study at least twice as hard as the average free college student. Again, this doesn't mean the colleges they're at are better, that just means they're more motivated. Or afraid.
#237 to #43 - lamarisagoodname
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
rethink that move
User avatar #216 to #43 - olesc
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I think its easier to go to University in general in other countries because of the price and everything. You cant educate an entire country in MIT
#190 to #43 - fapmancon
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
#168 to #43 - mrgusti
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #127 to #43 - leemcgiffen
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
The fact St Andrews University and Edinburgh University arent in this list makes me doubt it. Both very good universities.
#48 to #43 - anon id: b55c3cd1
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
What's the arbitrary numbers? The percentage that attend who are rich upperclass white boys?
#51 to #48 - MikeLit
Reply -11 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Swing and a miss
Swing and a miss
User avatar #149 to #43 - metalmind
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Yeah, a statistic that is heavily influenced by the size of the university, Oxford ranking that low, an American statistic.
Overall conclusion: Absolute ********.
#187 to #43 - sorenlolz
Reply -2 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
>Implying that anyone who goes to those schools would not be able to pay for it.   
>Implying that your stats are legit, even though you show no source.   
>Implying that everyone has the choice to go to one of those schools.   
>Implying that every American school is above the top other schools.
>Implying that anyone who goes to those schools would not be able to pay for it.
>Implying that your stats are legit, even though you show no source.
>Implying that everyone has the choice to go to one of those schools.
>Implying that every American school is above the top other schools.
#240 to #43 - fapmancon
Reply -6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I wonder how many people go to them "Amazing" American universities to learn a higher level in English
#382 to #28 - TittyCinnamon
Reply +8 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
but it's true so keep laughing you retard.
#384 to #382 - fapmancon
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
#253 to #28 - jakatackka
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Holy ****, I wasn't expecting this negative of a reaction. Even though most statistics support my claim...
User avatar #565 to #253 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Don't worry dude. Just grow a deep hate for Western Europeans like I have.
User avatar #755 to #565 - nazo
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
What the europeans have to do with this?
User avatar #761 to #755 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
They are the morons who are thumbing down the FACT that the US has the best Universities in the world. Europeans are so full of themselves they can't stand when the US is better at them in something.
#767 to #761 - nazo
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
HOW THE **** do you know they're the ones thumb it down? Is not like there are canadians, mexicans, australians, asians... no no no just europeans, more than 300 ******* europeans.   
   
You are THAT ************ who cant stop attacking europe, one thing is defending america, and the other is blame europeans.   
   
As an european Im gonna clear one thing; Europeans dont give a ******* **** about the US. Yeah, thats right. If you ever heard a european talking **** about america HE IS A ******* TROLL. Because the people here love the american culture.
HOW THE **** do you know they're the ones thumb it down? Is not like there are canadians, mexicans, australians, asians... no no no just europeans, more than 300 ******* europeans.

You are THAT ************ who cant stop attacking europe, one thing is defending america, and the other is blame europeans.

As an european Im gonna clear one thing; Europeans dont give a ******* **** about the US. Yeah, thats right. If you ever heard a european talking **** about america HE IS A ******* TROLL. Because the people here love the american culture.
User avatar #768 to #767 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
We literally know it was Europeans. Look at the comments. Sorry man Europeans are insecure people with a huge inferiority complex. I know Europeans love our culture, and that is what makes them such hypocrites.

Europe attacks America every day on Funnyjunk. I just fight back.
User avatar #770 to #768 - nazo
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
"Europeans are so full of themselves"
"Europeans are insecure people"

Seriously pal you dont know what you're talking about I know my people better than you, you are just eating bait like a champ from "europeans" who are probably trolls.

Europeans are not insecure people, maybe we just dont want to be the Nº1 in everything, the only one full of himself is you.
User avatar #772 to #770 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Look up inferiority complex if you want to know how someone can be full of themselves and insecure.

If Europeans didn't want to be number one in everything why do they always compare their healthcare, education and other things to the US. All they constantly do is brag right here on funnyjunk. The day I meet a humble European pigs may fly.
User avatar #780 to #772 - kietzu
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I would introduce myself, but that wouldn't be humble and negate me doing so in the first place.

bah.
User avatar #778 to #772 - nazo
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
THEY DONT, THEY'RE TROLLS.

Look man serioulsy, this is the ******* internet, you cant just hate europeans because some pal compared europe and america, and europe won.

There is a similar fight in the internet between spaniards and latins, but in real life they're friends, just like europeans and americans. Europeans go to america for vacation and sometimes to study, do you really think that someone who do that hates you? You cant just hate us all because some fat ************ in a pc European or not told you that america sucks. Come on man.
User avatar #779 to #778 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Dude, the entire point of this account is to go overboard on defending America and putting Europeans in there place. You should take your own advice and realize that I may not be completely serious. The America hate because it is cool gets really old.

This post really pissed me off, because he posted the truth and got thumbed down to Oblivion.
User avatar #782 to #779 - nazo
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Maybe, I do not hate america in fact I tell the europeans the same thing When is not obvious bait but I cant say I havent been hooked once But yeah Im european so I tend to defend europe most.

I understand that post pissed you off but maaaaan dont blame us.
#810 to #782 - european
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
No you're not
I am
#583 to #28 - anon id: 319b67e3
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
******* yuropoors
User avatar #594 to #28 - damping
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Truth hurts doesn't it. Laughing off your poor education won't help.
#22 - andywazowski
Reply +261 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Denmar:   
   
We will ******* give you money if you go to a university.   
 gif unrelated
Denmar:

We will ******* give you money if you go to a university.
gif unrelated
User avatar #59 to #22 - zhater
Reply -9 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
the cost of living in scandinavian countries is really ******* high, hence lack of mass immigration
User avatar #74 to #59 - hemming
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Are you kidding me?
Do you have any fukkin idea how many muslims are migrating to Scandinavia?
Especially Sweden, holy ****, i normally don't care for Sweden, but those poor *******..
Living here is a ******* breeze for those ******* cause they don't have to do ****, the government pays for all their **** with our tax money
#561 to #74 - anon id: c385c107
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
wait, the government helps non-citizens?
or have these ppl legally immigrated to a better country then their own and u just hate them for it?
User avatar #141 to #59 - asimplepotato
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Lack of mass immigration? The most common name in Oslo is or atleast was muhammed, and Norway isnt a muslim country.
User avatar #632 to #59 - wtfduud
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
******* LOL
#75 to #59 - anon id: 81055901
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
About that immigration thing: we've got ******* sand ******* like you wouldn't believe.
#139 to #22 - anon id: 30131095
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
denmark seems pretty good except that everyone there speaks danish.
seriously, everyone sounds like theyre drunk and have a potato stuck i their throat.
User avatar #682 to #139 - lawuser
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That's because everybody is drunk.
Dane here, I know this ****.
User avatar #668 to #139 - daentraya
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
A someone who prefers english, that's the only inconvenience i find by living here.
Danish is so inelegant, and it only shines in the most vulgar of silly uses
#164 to #139 - anon id: 15d33ab2
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
How incovenient: they speak Dannish in Dennmark.
#658 to #164 - nicoquitemad
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
As a Dane who speaks more English than Danish, I actually somewhat agree, Danish is a hard, sorta boring language which, in comparison to the equally sorta boring hekkelldekllell singsongy other scandinavian languages, does sound quite like we've stuffed our throat with something. On the bright side, we appear to be known as the Italy of the North, and that's just badass as hell.
As a Dane who speaks more English than Danish, I actually somewhat agree, Danish is a hard, sorta boring language which, in comparison to the equally sorta boring hekkelldekllell singsongy other scandinavian languages, does sound quite like we've stuffed our throat with something. On the bright side, we appear to be known as the Italy of the North, and that's just badass as hell.
#166 to #22 - anon id: dd01170f
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
I'm Danish, and personally speaking, I say **** Denmark. The country wasn't really multicultural to begin with, and the amount of sand ******* coming into the country is just absolutely ******* the scoiety's norms and values, ******* with the people in the name of Allah and ****, it isnt making the country any better.

So glad I live in Canada.
#171 to #166 - dillistone
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
damn ***** u edgy.
#593 to #166 - anon id: 2a85f0e6
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You're ability to make a structured sentence baffles me, mostly because you're a complete ******* retard
#555 to #166 - anon id: c385c107
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
so ...u hate denmark coz a type of race lives there?
K
User avatar #711 to #22 - chimpaflimp
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Note to self: Learn Danish, buy ticket to Denmark, go to Danish Uni.
User avatar #769 to #22 - tommythecatt
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
So could I go to college there and then come back to America with a free degree?
#859 to #769 - nicoleb
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/15/2014) [-]
You can go for college and finish your studies in any school you want. Researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles, found in a recent study of freshman students that price is an enormous factor in college selection. It should be. Tuition is increasing along with debt loads and joblessness for recent graduates. It has been argued that high rates of <a href=" You need to login to view this link are essential for countries to be able to achieve high levels of economic growth. Empirical analyses tend to support the theoretical prediction that poor countries should grow faster than rich countries because they can adopt cutting edge technologies already tried and tested by rich countries.
#64 to #22 - redlarva **User deleted account**
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
**redlarva rolled a random image posted in comment #6 at Magical girl Revy. ** Scandinavia*
#116 to #22 - alexanderh
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Yup, about 1000 $ per month if you live away from your parents. About 500 $ if you live with your parents. I like it here
#684 to #116 - anon id: 8bb81ad2
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
1000 $ no matter what when you're 20
#814 to #684 - alexanderh
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Are you sure? I couldn't find any info about that on any official sites.
#94 to #22 - thelaks
Reply +9 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
User avatar #256 to #22 - steelwoolsheep
Reply +15 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
damn i totally wanna live in Denmar, sounds sick as ****.
User avatar #636 to #256 - coolsnow
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Disgrace as a Norwegian
And I mean you, ******
User avatar #824 to #636 - steelwoolsheep
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
i dont wanna live in denmark, i said denmar!
User avatar #825 to #256 - steelwoolsheep
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
if anyone doesnt get the joke, i said Denmar.... as a joke.... i want to go to norway, not denmark.
#695 to #256 - anon id: 8c9b147c
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
in norway i get paid way to much to go on school! i payd off my appartement and my car with the scollarship!
#787 to #695 - anon id: 6328b1e1
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
wow! you must have a very cheap car and "apartment" (cardboard?) to manage to pay it off with the norwegian scholarship! you get 35000 nok (without the loan) or 3500 pound a year. pluss car and apartment (not the cardboard though) is very expensive in norway
User avatar #56 to #22 - bjartur
Reply +25 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Scandinavia*
User avatar #713 to #56 - timoyr
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Nordic countries*
#6 - pikapimp
Reply +188 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
the US government doesnt really have the money to go giving it to everyone who asks for it
being that they are almost 18 trillion dollars in debt
#394 to #6 - silverhellion
Reply -2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
haha, oh god.   
   
how does a country **** up that badly?.
haha, oh god.

how does a country **** up that badly?.
User avatar #232 to #6 - gormless
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Except the U.S. has the highest per capita spending on education.
User avatar #243 to #232 - IceViper
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Not to mention the least effective spending on education. In other words we are just throwing money at it and expecting for it to improve. Scandinavian elementary and up to highschool education costs around half what it does to American elementary and highschool education however the Scandinavians get better results.
User avatar #836 to #232 - gormless
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/08/2014) [-]
To whatever ignorant twat decides to thumb me down for stating a fact, here, have this: www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/
www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/18515
www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/oecd-education-report_n_3496875.html
www.studentsfirst.org/blog/entry/u.s.-education-spending-tops-other-countries

"According to a 2005 report from the OECD, the United States is tied for first place with Switzerland when it comes to annual spending per student on its public schools, with each of those two countries spending more than $11,000." - Wikipedia

#85 to #6 - anon id: 41742703
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
I have a great idea, instead of providing our citizens with healthcare and scholarships to college why don't we invade other countries making fools of ourselves and make the rest of the world hate us and get seventeen trillion in debt, brilliant! The rest of the world looks at us like assholes as if we can control what ****** decisions our government makes.
#138 to #85 - anon id: e742bc81
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
We can.

WE ELECT THEM.

THEY'RE ELECTED OFFICIALS

Nothing gets done in washington because of endless bickering between the parties. If we would just elect more moderates, **** might actually get moving again.

Sadly, most americans are content to sit around and whine. Just read the fj comments.
#176 to #138 - obsidicus
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
well when your only choices are one corrupt rich guy or another corrupt rich guy...
#310 to #176 - anon id: 04f7012e
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Exactly and they're making the laws and regulations so complicated its nearly impossible for even politicians to understand. The Constitution of the Unites States has 4,400 words, the Obamacare law has over 380,000 words.
User avatar #313 to #310 - obsidicus
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
some of them are even saying things like "we have to pass the law to find out what's in it." Seriously? You can't read it? That's your job.
User avatar #98 to #6 - gare
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
but its basically non existent because merica spends so much money on military and **** like that if a country tries to get their money back we go bang bang pew pew them
#286 to #6 - explositationer
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Dude. I live in México. Tell me about debt and poverty. College costs the equivalent of about 3 USD per semester.
Dude. I live in México. Tell me about debt and poverty. College costs the equivalent of about 3 USD per semester.
User avatar #478 to #286 - BorderPatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
What college do you go to? I need to know because of reasons.
User avatar #835 to #478 - explositationer
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/08/2014) [-]
The UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, National Autonomous University of México), that is ibout in the top 10 of universities in Latin America
User avatar #846 to #835 - BorderPatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/09/2014) [-]
Wow, I thought UNAM was more expensive than that
User avatar #673 to #6 - thalfak
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Is the US debt really at the size of US GDP?
User avatar #750 to #673 - klaes
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Unfortunately, the US debt is actually higher than the GDP. It has been for a few years...
User avatar #262 to #6 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
If we stopped giving everybody in the world a ******** of cash (especially Japan and Western Europe for military ****) then we would be k. The only issue is if we stopped then everybody would lose their ****.
User avatar #144 to #6 - anonymoose
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Wanna know how to make money. Have a society that can afford an education.
User avatar #26 to #6 - tittylovin
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Maybe they should regulate the education system.
I'm no expert, but at the college I went to the teachers complained about how they were underpaid and the buildings were dilapidated, but executives lived lavishly and I only saw the Dean once while he was touring. That's how little he had to do with the place, he literally needed a guided tour to get around. When lunch time came around, he went to eat in the special dining room, where he and the other executives ate a fancy steak dinner with cake for dessert - made in the same kitchen the same day that the students were cooked chicken patties and instant potatoes. He didn't even have to pay 2.5k for a mandatory meal plan!
User avatar #272 to #26 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That's socialism and anti-capitalist though. Let the market decide, run it like a company, etc.
User avatar #356 to #272 - tittylovin
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Because that works so well. After all, it's why the USA has the fastest internet in the world.
User avatar #366 to #356 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
'Twas a joke, I know it's retarded.
User avatar #32 to #6 - cacachaud
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
us government prefer spend his money on military insted of school
User avatar #9 to #6 - traveltech
Reply +85 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
But we gotta have more fighter jets
#11 to #9 - teamrocketninja
Reply +43 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Debt doesnt decrease the need to explode things.
#109 to #11 - fourtitwo
Reply +10 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
I have actually been in debt once, and I'm afraid to admit that it did affect my need to explode things.
Either way, depending on who I owed.
User avatar #154 to #11 - bronynexgen
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Yes, yes it does. It should make the US a bit more frugal with it's ******* overized military.
User avatar #788 to #154 - zuflux
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
But what about the big dangerous bear in the east?
User avatar #849 to #788 - bronynexgen
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/09/2014) [-]
The big "dangerous" bear in the east is outdated and clunky at best. ******* France could take it on and win.
User avatar #851 to #849 - zuflux
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/09/2014) [-]
That's exactly what I wanted to say with that comment. Russia's barking into a megaphone.
User avatar #212 to #154 - sparkofinsanity
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Clearly you don't know about the Monroe Doctrine
User avatar #848 to #212 - bronynexgen
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/09/2014) [-]
The Monroe Doctrine was repealed by Clinton.
User avatar #21 to #11 - joeyliquid
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
War is a good diversion for problems of the country, at least according to politicians.
User avatar #13 to #11 - pikapimp
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
we could spend less money on military if people would stop bitching to the government to give money to every group of people that are fighting for something
#14 to #13 - teamrocketninja
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Or we could stop giving money to the people who are doing absolutely nothing and exist entirely on handouts.
User avatar #15 to #14 - pikapimp
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
i agree with doing that as well
#17 to #15 - teamrocketninja
Reply +4 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
And then buy more jets!
#18 to #17 - pikapimp
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
how else are we gonna blow up commies?
#19 to #18 - teamrocketninja
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
GODDAMN COMMIES
#20 to #19 - pikapimp
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
this is the a commies reaction to Obama trying to take my guns
this is the a commies reaction to Obama trying to take my guns
User avatar #264 to #14 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
You mean military contractors?
#443 to #264 - teamrocketninja
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Nah, people who live off unemployment and disability and welfare when they are physically capable of working.
Nah, people who live off unemployment and disability and welfare when they are physically capable of working.
User avatar #445 to #443 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
It's funny because military contractors match that description perfectly.

You do know that the majority of people on welfare work, right? And people on disability can't work, hence the disability part. Unemployment is good or bad depending on who you ask.
#749 to #445 - anon id: 257363bb
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Not taking a side here, just clarifying that he said "people who live off disability when they are physically capable of working", as in people who are getting disability when they shouldn't.
User avatar #452 to #445 - teamrocketninja
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
How do contractors match that description at all?
Call them war profiteers if you like, but they are pretty important.

Yeah, they try to get work as authors or some such **** or keep popping out kids even though they cant support them just for more government money. Most people on disability would be able to work a desk job. Unemployment is too abusible.
User avatar #458 to #452 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Here in San Diego they are the definition of government leeches. This is a good time to point out that anecdotal experiences are bad way to judge an entire group of people. Hint hint.

Really? Where did you see that? In you personal experience? Please refer above if that's the case. How do you know that most people on disability would be able to work desk jobs? Do you know how many people have what disability and to what severity? I can't argue on unemployment, but getting rid of it entirely would **** over a lot of people that get dealt a bad hand, and would only increase homelessness.
#469 to #458 - teamrocketninja
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Define government leeches

Yes, that is personal experience. An amalgamation of several of my relatives stories. They unabashedly milk the system and say so. Im sorry if it has left me unsympathetic to welfare people, and I recognize that it really helps some who need it, but so many more abuse it.

While there are people who legitimately are disabled to the point of work being a complete impossibility, a mobility issue shouldnt prevent someone from sitting at a desk.

And Im in no way saying nix these programs completely. Id just like to see them rolled back significantly and have the standards for receiving a payout increased and stringently reviewed, for example, someone on welfare having to actively be submitting job resumes/applications each month.
User avatar #486 to #469 - nigeltheoutlaw
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
People who take money from the government that they have not earned.

I don't think scaling them back would be necessary with those new standards since it would naturally kick a lot of people off of the entitlements. We're not disagreed there, just on our perceptions of the people who currently receive them. The only issue is that all of those new standards and regulations are liable to increase the cost even more due to the extra personnel that would need to be hired.
User avatar #2 - astraea
Reply +96 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
So you're saying it isnt free everywhere...?
User avatar #62 to #2 - JariWeis
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
In Holland it's free if you finish it within a certain amount of time.
User avatar #3 to #2 - mrgoodlove [OP]
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Yes
User avatar #4 to #3 - astraea
Reply +8 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Thats weird lol
User avatar #5 to #4 - mrgoodlove [OP]
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Murica!
#91 to #5 - anon id: 62f858c6
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
yfw my freedumz > your freedumz
#16 to #4 - Kingsly
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
We don't have any gov. medical coverage unless you're really old or significantly under the poverty line.
#38 - thelordofrepost
Reply +64 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
>implying the government has any money of it's own and that isn't forcing other citizens to pay foryour education.
User avatar #66 to #38 - redlarva **User deleted account**
Reply +2 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
What the lower lvled americans doesn't understand is that taxes are good in moderation ofcourse
#117 to #38 - lackwit
Reply +21 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
#572 to #117 - anon id: 45b99cf4
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
And what a fine job public education has done to eliminate stupidity.
#465 to #117 - swagbot
Reply -3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
People should the privilege of GIVE as much money as they want, without coercion....

...and the burden of SEPARATING their communities if that community cannot agree on the importance of education.

Therefore, some people will choose to give (note: that's not a tax but a donation) to schools in order to "Make Society Better", and other people will not...

...and that will be their choice as a community...

...and their will profit/suffer for their decisions, and they will have nobody to blame/thank but themselves

The Nonaggression Principle... super simple stuff.
User avatar #663 to #465 - ennaburning
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
It isn't the socialist principle though, and here in the UK we are (mostly) socialists
#797 to #663 - swagbot
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
1. Yes, i know. It's BETTER than Socialism, because you can still 'do' Socialist things in a Nonaggressive Framework, just as long as you do it in a community where people agree to it.

2. How's that workin' out for ya? Huge debt. Runaway corruption. Supporting a Royal Family. TONS of discontentment. (not to say the U.S. doesn't have its problems... but you need to shed this baseless Pride of the British. As every year goes by, you guys as we have less and less to be proud of, and more regrets).

3. You're not Socialists - most of you Brits (as well as we Amerifags) are PEASANTS - timid little souls who just want a small, warm flat and enough semi-decent food to limp through life.

THAT is how people allow themselves to be controlled, and why even in THIS Age, where things could be SO bright and beautiful, we're still wrestling with Feudal-Age problems.
User avatar #800 to #797 - ennaburning
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I was genuinely going to debate with you until you called us peasants haha

and the thing I am going to argue with still is that we 'have less to be proud of'
Personally I am proud of the culture and history of my country (Scotland and Britain) and I have plenty to be proud of when I look at the innovation and art that came from my country's past (:
#802 to #800 - swagbot
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
That's exactly my point:

You are celebrating things in your PAST... while (seemingly) ignoring the fact that in the PRESENT, your country crumbles around you.

I have to go to work now....
#31 - thechosentroll
Reply +56 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
My countrys' government: It's so cheap you can work minimal wage and comfortably pay it off. If you SURVIVE! HA HAA! LET THE GAMES BEGIN! Who will navigate the treacherous course of 7 exams, 15 cubic meters of paperwork and three whole laps through the confusing and broken application system to claim the prestigious title of "university student"? Find out in this years edition of "Application wars". 4000 candidates apply. Only 40 get in.
#724 to #31 - merkmuds
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
what country is that
User avatar #756 to #724 - thechosentroll
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Europes' asshole. Also known as Bulgaria.
#284 to #31 - JonasWest
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Speaking of exams, I have 8 per semester, for a total of 48 ******* exams for a bachelors degree
#423 to #284 - themapestree
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but that's extremely light. I have taken 6 in the past three weeks at my university
#717 to #423 - anon id: 422603de
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Depends on the difficulty of the exams really. I have 3 every 10 weeks or so and my study is considered a very difficult one.
User avatar #686 to #284 - thechosentroll
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I've taken more in the last 7 months of high school.
#213 - Hawke
Reply +54 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
MUH BENEFITS

WHERE'S MUH FREE GUBMENT ****
User avatar #80 - skypatrol
Reply +45 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
AMERICA, WHY YOU SO BAD? YOU SO STUPID AND HAVE NO MONEY.
AMERICA, WHY YOU NO GIVE ME FREE EDUCATION? Y MUST EARN OUR OWN MONEY?
GODDAMMIT US, LOOK AT THOSE TINY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT PAY FOR THEIR CITIZENS TO GO TO COLLEGE, WHY CANT WE PAY FOR 100+ MILLION TO GO TO COLEGE?!?!?!!
and then most Asian students come to America for college, because they are the best in the world
The people who say American schools are not the best just refuse to admit it.
inb4
laughing.gif, no theyre not.
sources:
www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013/reputation-ranking
www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2013.html
Both are non-american sources.
America can't afford to pay for your college. Americans take a loan out, and go get an education that gives them a job, and pay off their loan through hard work and dedication. Such is the American way.
And we're not sorry about being different from the rest of the world.
#88 to #80 - lolfire
Reply -8 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
I'm not thumbing you down because you're wrong.    
   
I'm thumbing you down because you sound like a complete cunt.
I'm not thumbing you down because you're wrong.

I'm thumbing you down because you sound like a complete cunt.
User avatar #95 to #88 - skypatrol
Reply +5 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
im just extremely flustered with all these other comments, how they are just being ignorant.
User avatar #602 to #88 - damping
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Not like those Europeans who refuse to accept facts or anything.
#508 to #80 - swagbot
Reply -2 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Don't let the Eurofags get to you - there is a LOT wrong with the American Higher Education System.

What are the Problems, and How to fix it?

- Student loans are ridiculously expensive. (Was that education REALLY worth $120,000)
- Student loans are predatory (you can't bankrupt out of them, fees are mandatory, extreme criminal liability for nonpayment... wtf?)
- Economy is ****, so nobody can get a good job to pay said loans back.
- Quality of education is steadily declining in the U.S. ...
- ...and yet, employers still value a practically worthless degree, "because it's traditional", instead of cold, hard experience and grit.

How to Fix:
> Employers need to start hiring mostly based on Merit, not just 'Credentials'.
- This would make more people see that Hard Work = A Good Job, and people would start turning away from College in favor of alternative education / practical experience.
> Federal Gov needs to stop taxing / People need to stop paying Fed Inc. Tax en-masse.
- This would allow us to defund organization like Fannie and Freddie.
- This would defund enforcement of predatory lending laws.
- This would allow people to keep more $$$ with which to pay any education expenses.
- Economy would improve, creating more Jobs, giving people more opportunity for more $$$


> For the colleges that do remain...
- People would be able to PAY them for a PROPER education...
- There would be competition, and the lame colleges would get weeded out.


Eurofags can have their Utopia-of-Mandatory-Taxes-and-Education. I'd rather have the Freedom to Choose.
User avatar #820 to #508 - skypatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Oh, great idea btw,
LETS FORCE BANKS TO GIVE OUT LOANS THAT STUDENTS CAN BAIL OUT ON AT ANY TIME.
Great ************* genius.
#841 to #820 - swagbot
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/08/2014) [-]
WHAT THE ****... this is like a DAY LATER...

Whatever just read the damn PM i sent you.
User avatar #776 to #508 - skypatrol
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Yeah, you're retarded.
We have issues, and you have the most retarded way to fix them.
#795 to #776 - swagbot
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
A productive reply. (heavy sarcasm implied)

How about putting in thousands of your own hours of honest thought into the issue, and then presenting your OWN solutions, and explaining how they solve the Problems as succinctly as I did?

I suppose you're objecting to the 'Stop Paying Taxes' part?

I've had hundreds of discussion on the matter, with close friends and family, as well as total strangers who are currently drowning in Student Loan Debt.

It ALWAYS, ALWAYS comes down to a simple decision:
> People who want to fund the Fed Gov mistakenly think the Fed Gov is providing anything to its citizenry. They don't want the responsibility of weeding out corruption, and paying attention to where their money goes. (idiots like you)
> People who want to keep their own money, and are okay exchanging greater wealth for the responsibility of ensuring where said money goes.

It's not that hard to see which choice is both morally right, and leads to a stronger country.

TL;dr. Put up or shut up.
User avatar #126 to #80 - misfitsftw
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
visited cambridge once, like a third of the people i saw were asian, whats your point?
#219 to #80 - anon id: e228a29a
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
"Tiny european countrys" yeah, area-wise. Have you ever taken in consideration that most of those "tiny" countrys are populated a lot denser than the united states of human-free areas?
As for the topic for the "best colleges of the world" yes, america does have some of the best. And many of the most aweful.
"Americans [...] get an education that gives them a job...".
Sou you think everyone else in the world just wastes 3-10 years of their lives just for the hell of it. Are you REALY that stupid? Seriously, I understand what point you want to make, but it's a stupid point, and you are arguing for it in a completely idiotic manner. All you manage to do is piss of people who want more affordable education in the USA, AS WELL AS anybody from any place in the world, that already does that.
#387 to #219 - skypatrol
Reply +6 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
No they don't &quot;waste 3-10 years&quot;   
Americans get an education that gives them a job = not going for a retarded degree at a retarded college, ie feminine studies at Lousiana State University or Uni of Virginia.   
I'm talking about a degree where there are jobs that are looking for people in a certain field.   
And we have over 4000 colleges.  Do you expect them all to be top notch?   
I come from a poor family.  My dad laid TV cable in philly for a living.  But he went to school, and got a masters degree in biology while working and raising a family of 4, and soon to be 5 (me).  Thats the kind of dedication and hard work i'm talking about.   
now before you go off like Hiroshima, im not saying everyone has to have it hard to be successful.   
Also, America has the third largest population in the world.  It;s not practical to pay for everyone's education.  But we do guarantee a high-school education, which is enough for a  lot of people.   
The largest population country in Europe is Russia, at 1/3 of US population.   
Now it IS practical for the smaller countries to pay for your education, because there's not as many of you.     
Take Denmark, at just under 6 million, and makes a decent GDP; why not?   
   
ALSO.   
If you want to go to college for free in America it is entirely ******* possible.  YOU CAN't EVEN COMPREHEND THE AMOUNT OF SCHOLARSHIPS OUT THERE FOR COLLEGE.   
And a lot of those go unrewarded, because no one applies.   
tl;dr    
go **** yourself, you have no idea what you're talking about
No they don't "waste 3-10 years"
Americans get an education that gives them a job = not going for a retarded degree at a retarded college, ie feminine studies at Lousiana State University or Uni of Virginia.
I'm talking about a degree where there are jobs that are looking for people in a certain field.
And we have over 4000 colleges. Do you expect them all to be top notch?
I come from a poor family. My dad laid TV cable in philly for a living. But he went to school, and got a masters degree in biology while working and raising a family of 4, and soon to be 5 (me). Thats the kind of dedication and hard work i'm talking about.
now before you go off like Hiroshima, im not saying everyone has to have it hard to be successful.
Also, America has the third largest population in the world. It;s not practical to pay for everyone's education. But we do guarantee a high-school education, which is enough for a lot of people.
The largest population country in Europe is Russia, at 1/3 of US population.
Now it IS practical for the smaller countries to pay for your education, because there's not as many of you.
Take Denmark, at just under 6 million, and makes a decent GDP; why not?

ALSO.
If you want to go to college for free in America it is entirely ******* possible. YOU CAN't EVEN COMPREHEND THE AMOUNT OF SCHOLARSHIPS OUT THERE FOR COLLEGE.
And a lot of those go unrewarded, because no one applies.
tl;dr
go **** yourself, you have no idea what you're talking about
User avatar #522 to #387 - guymandude
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I just want to say - you (and a few others) make it sound a lot easier than it is to get scholarships. I mean, it's not like it isn't easy - it's just not guaranteed, and it's not thrown right into our laps either. So it isn't the same as a free education from a european country. just sayin
User avatar #683 to #522 - skypatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I got 4 $10000 scholarships by only entering my name.
User avatar #798 to #683 - guymandude
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
again - that's only your experience. This past semester, I applied for over 20 scholarships that were the super simple "just enter your name" types, and only got one for $5000. My point is it varies. The fact that you got $40,000 doesn't change anything I said in my other comment.
User avatar #819 to #798 - skypatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
just my experience?
it's not like these were only available to me.
You could have applied just as easily as me.
When they gave them to me, they told me i was the only applicant. Therefore i had no competition.
it doesnt have to just be "my experience"
User avatar #855 to #819 - guymandude
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/10/2014) [-]
no, it doesn't have to be. What I am saying is that the scenario you are describing is, in the most literal possible way, just your experience. As in something that would not happen the exact same way to many other people.
User avatar #530 to #387 - ilovehitler
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
This comment was so glorious I read it three times over.
#221 to #219 - anon id: e228a29a
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
TL;DR: CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS
#493 to #80 - swagbot
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
#500 to #80 - swagbot
0 123456789123345869
has deleted their comment [-]
User avatar #726 to #80 - thefeelslimshady
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Getting a job after college, what is this the 60s?
I also love how the top 1% of the US got the rest of the population tricket into capitalisme. It only benefeits those top 1% but the rest of you retards still support it.
User avatar #775 to #726 - skypatrol
Reply -1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Actually, capitalism benefits everyone else you ********.
Trickle down economics
And dont you dare say "herr durr it doesnt trickle down, it stops at the top" because that argument is retarded.
My family was able to go from poor to middle class thanks to capitalism, so go **** yourself.
User avatar #815 to #775 - thefeelslimshady
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Ok, I'll I bake 100 cakes and share among 10 people. 80 for myself ofc since I was born into the family who owns the bakery. Some friends of mine while get 10 each. They are the owner of a store you work in. For your efforts you are given 1 cake. Happy as **** arnt you? Eventough you need 3 cakes to feed your family.

Go from poor to middle class. OMG thats the ****** dream inst it? That 1/15 families will be able to to that while 14/15 are unable to.
User avatar #818 to #815 - skypatrol
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
"ill bake 100 cakes and SHARE among 10 people"
for one, anything you give away is charity, the way you wrote it.

You really dont know how trickle down econ works do you?
If you buy something, or if you pay someone else a certain agreed wage for a job, then you are benefiting from trickle down econ.
And using your example:
CEO: 80 cakes
Manager: 10 cakes
Employee: 1 cake

That's how salaries and promotion work. If it didn't work like that, there would be no incentive to move up.

The point is we moved up to the next tax bracket through hard work and dedication. Now thanks to my dad's efforts, ill be able to work into the upper class, making 150k+ a year after about 20 years as a computer engineer.
That's what I get to look forward to because my grandparents were immigrants lived a ******, life but built up the future generations. Capitalism isn't perfect by any means, but its a helluva a lot better than anything else out there.
User avatar #816 to #815 - thefeelslimshady
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
some people*
#796 to #775 - swagbot
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
We need to Skype.

You are WAY through the looking glass.

I thought exactly as you did a few years ago, before i got out into the Real World. (and no, i didn't turn into a Hippy, or get a sex change... i still love Free Market economics... i just realize that memes likes yours are bred through Lies constantly fed to us, and promoted by our parents who are too tired to fight a real fight, and thus declare that 'All is Well'.)
#140 to #80 - auditor
Reply +7 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Holy ****, there is an invisible war raging on your comment.
#84 - anoxz
Reply +36 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Denmark:
Well you seem smart enough to read a book, so welcome to University, with no charge.
Here, have 950 USD a month to live and pay rent.
User avatar #90 to #84 - fjgohomeyouredrunk
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
900 usd sounds kinda legit... In Finland you only get like 450 euros which is decent enough until you realize that you cant get an apartment in any main city for less that 500 euros/month
User avatar #659 to #90 - nicoquitemad
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
900USD isn't enough to live in Denmark either. Unless you can find an apartment cheaper than 600USD a month, and that's pretty impossible with the terrible market and shortage.
User avatar #720 to #659 - fjgohomeyouredrunk
Reply +1 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Ah... well, still better than what it is in the great Freedomlands of Amurika...
User avatar #512 to #90 - guymandude
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
450 euros sounds kinda legit... in the US you get like --$20,000, which is decent enough until you realize that oh wait no it ******* isn't.
User avatar #722 to #512 - fjgohomeyouredrunk
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Then again, I guess in US you dont have to, say, pay taxes twice for inherited funds and ****...
User avatar #799 to #722 - guymandude
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
that is true...in fact I don't believe that there is any tax on inherited sums in the US.
User avatar #195 to #84 - toosexyforyou
Reply +3 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
I live in the US and am a freshman in college. Everything's paid off from scholarships and I'm getting about 3500 a semester which is like 3 months.
User avatar #503 to #195 - guymandude
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
but that's YOUR specific case. because I sure as **** am not getting enough scholarships to pay off my entire tuition. The special part about Denmark is that payment is for anyone. btw who the hell is giving you 3500 a month?
#188 - AdamBaum
Reply +24 123456789123345869
(03/06/2014) [-]
Oh boy, it's THIS type of conversation, the one where we say &quot;NO MY UNI BETTER&quot; or &quot;MY CUNTRY BUTTER&quot; without any hard facts or credible sources. A wonderful place really, a place where we circle jerk. What a time to be alive.
Oh boy, it's THIS type of conversation, the one where we say "NO MY UNI BETTER" or "MY CUNTRY BUTTER" without any hard facts or credible sources. A wonderful place really, a place where we circle jerk. What a time to be alive.
#223 to #188 - StareHitler
Reply 0 123456789123345869
(03/07/2014) [-]
Apparently, my country...