Home Original Content Funny Pictures Funny GIFs YouTube Funny Text Funny Movies Channels Search
What do you think? Give us your opinion. Anonymous comments allowed.
#11 - oilcookedsolanacea (10/12/2013) [-]
Except that's wrong.

The LD50 of theobromine for dogs is 300 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Time for some math, it's school season, suck it up and deal with it:
A Yorkshire Terrier weighs about 3 kilograms, so it would need 900 milligrams of theobromine to keel over. Know how many milligrams of theobromine are in the average Hershey's Kiss? 8.

Dark chocolate is a bit more concerning, an 82% purity bar contains roughly 1100 milligrams of theobromine, enough for a Yorkie, but a 15-kg Cocker Spaniel would be fine so long as you don't go over 4 or so bars.

So basically, unless you're feeding your dog baker's chocolate (Or cocoa powder), or feeding dark chocolate to your tiny dog, the most you'll give them by feeding them chocolate is the worst case of the vomiting runs they'll ever have. Bring a mop. And enough Febreeze to send a chair into orbit.
#52 to #11 - myshipsailedwoutme (10/12/2013) [-]
It's still damaging in the long-run, so it could kill them over a long period of time.
#49 to #11 - DrollHumor (10/12/2013) [-]
My dog when I was little (a boston terrier) was fed chocolate cake by our neighbors. He proceeded to suffer from frequent seizures. He rubbed the fur off the top of his head and had to be put in a pen. We gave him away, but I just think my parents had him put down and that was their story for me.
My dog when I was little (a boston terrier) was fed chocolate cake by our neighbors. He proceeded to suffer from frequent seizures. He rubbed the fur off the top of his head and had to be put in a pen. We gave him away, but I just think my parents had him put down and that was their story for me.
#53 to #49 - myshipsailedwoutme (10/12/2013) [-]
Wow, your neighbors must have been real idiots.
User avatar #54 to #53 - DrollHumor (10/12/2013) [-]
Yeah, my Mom was pissed.
User avatar #48 to #11 - Dember ONLINE (10/12/2013) [-]
Your information is fairly accurate - most chocolate isn't as deadly as people make it out to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't harmful, in any amount and for any size dog.

Anyone who really feels the need to feed their dogs chocolate can always use Carob, a chocolate "substitute" of sorts - it's often marketed in dog treat products for that purpose.
The main reason I wouldn't is because I've heard multiple of accounts that, while harmless, the carob does smell and taste pretty similar to chocolate and it can make them more determined to get the real thing.
Sort of the whole "can't miss what they've never had" concept.

Not sure how accurate it is, but when mine are much happier with little meaty treats instead, I see no reason to give them candy anyway.
User avatar #38 to #11 - swagasauruss ONLINE (10/12/2013) [-]
But isn't one of the main issues is, it builds up over time and cause heart and joint problems? So on a regular basis it would then become really bad for your dog.
User avatar #68 to #38 - oilcookedsolanacea (10/12/2013) [-]
On a regular basis, yes.

I think after making your house's floor look like a honeywagon exploded inside is enough to convince you that feeding your dog chocolate more than once is a bad idea.
User avatar #23 to #11 - greenstrongworld (10/12/2013) [-]
>enough febreze to send a chair into orbit

I'm so using that one day.
User avatar #19 to #11 - colegaleener (10/12/2013) [-]
Thanks for the info, L
User avatar #17 to #11 - dishesaredone (10/12/2013) [-]
you metric faggot
User avatar #67 to #17 - oilcookedsolanacea (10/12/2013) [-]
filthy Imperial peasant
 Friends (0)